What's a good camcorder?

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I'm looking for an inexpensive (under $300) camcorder that's easy to use, has nice video quality, and is Mac-friendly. I'd rather not have to deal with flash cards, so a DV or hard disk cam with FireWire would be best. Any recommendations?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm looking for an inexpensive (under $300) camcorder that's easy to use, has nice video quality, and is Mac-friendly. I'd rather not have to deal with flash cards, so a DV or hard disk cam with FireWire would be best. Any recommendations?
For $300, you're looking exclusively at miniDV, unless you get a great deal or buy used. Also, I don't think there are any HDD camcorders that have Firewire, but that's neither here nor there.

Try finding a Canon Elura 100. It's discontinued, but you might be able to find one somewhere. They were selling for $380 or so when current. You might be able to get one around $300 if you can find it.

Also, you might be able to get a nice Panasonic 3CCD model for around that price range ... well maybe a little more, say $350 to $400. I think the Panny is called the GS320 or something.

Check out the reviews at camcorderinfo.com

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Elk Grove, CA
Mini-DV is still the industry standard, you'll run in to many issues trying to convert DVD or Harddrive, in to a format easily editable in iMovie/FCP... Most DVD and HD cams don't even have a firewire port to transfer the video. Go for mini-dv.

fart

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
The Nation's Fartland
if you can stretch your $300 to $500 or $800, go for an HV-10 (cheapest decent HDV, no?) or the HV-20/HC-Whatever.

IMHO, there is zero reason to invest anything in standard definition at this point.

hauss316H

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
America's Wang!
im looking to upgrade my hi8 sony dcr-trv250 to something that does better quality video. i dont want to jump into the HD stuff yet because its too expensive and there isnt a demand for it yet. anyone have any recommendations? I would like it to have really good night vision like the camera i have now, duh mac supported, and looking to spend nothing more than about $500.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
b/c for one, they aren't "mac-friendly".
Actually, with iMovie'08, they are Mac-friendly. Well, with the DVD camcorders, just make sure you don't stick the DVD in the Mac if it has a slot-loading drive.

Still, I'd go with miniDV.

jolton

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
The canon hv20 has been spectacular. Granted I mainly use it to film my family and son but really phenomenal film quality.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Actually, with iMovie'08, they are Mac-friendly. Well, with the DVD camcorders, just make sure you don't stick the DVD in the Mac if it has a slot-loading drive.

Still, I'd go with miniDV.
yeah i know, but the one have doesn't make very good quality videos either. it's one of the first sony minidvd ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.