What's a good camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thesdx, Nov 5, 2007.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for an inexpensive (under $300) camcorder that's easy to use, has nice video quality, and is Mac-friendly. I'd rather not have to deal with flash cards, so a DV or hard disk cam with FireWire would be best. Any recommendations?

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im saving for a hv-20 supposed to be about the best in its class.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

For $300, you're looking exclusively at miniDV, unless you get a great deal or buy used. Also, I don't think there are any HDD camcorders that have Firewire, but that's neither here nor there.

Try finding a Canon Elura 100. It's discontinued, but you might be able to find one somewhere. They were selling for $380 or so when current. You might be able to get one around $300 if you can find it.

Also, you might be able to get a nice Panasonic 3CCD model for around that price range ... well maybe a little more, say $350 to $400. I think the Panny is called the GS320 or something.

Check out the reviews at camcorderinfo.com

4. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Agreed... Elura 100... If you can save up, the HV20 is one awesome camcorder!

5. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

if you go hard drive or miniDVD you will live to regret it

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes you will. i learned that the hard way.

i'd stick with a Canon though

7. jbosing macrumors newbie

Why did the last two people nix hard drives and miniDVD?

8. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Mini-DV is still the industry standard, you'll run in to many issues trying to convert DVD or Harddrive, in to a format easily editable in iMovie/FCP... Most DVD and HD cams don't even have a firewire port to transfer the video. Go for mini-dv.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

b/c for one, they aren't "mac-friendly".

10. fart macrumors regular

if you can stretch your $300 to $500 or $800, go for an HV-10 (cheapest decent HDV, no?) or the HV-20/HC-Whatever.

IMHO, there is zero reason to invest anything in standard definition at this point.

11. hauss316H macrumors member

im looking to upgrade my hi8 sony dcr-trv250 to something that does better quality video. i dont want to jump into the HD stuff yet because its too expensive and there isnt a demand for it yet. anyone have any recommendations? I would like it to have really good night vision like the camera i have now, duh mac supported, and looking to spend nothing more than about $500.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Actually, with iMovie'08, they are Mac-friendly. Well, with the DVD camcorders, just make sure you don't stick the DVD in the Mac if it has a slot-loading drive.

Still, I'd go with miniDV.

13. jolton macrumors member

The canon hv20 has been spectacular. Granted I mainly use it to film my family and son but really phenomenal film quality.

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i know, but the one have doesn't make very good quality videos either. it's one of the first sony minidvd ones