what's a good car mount that will fit an iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 212rikanmofo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

All the car mounts I've seen look extremely bulky and ugly, with the exception of the official navigon one which they don't even carry in the US and that only fits the 3G anyways. Does anyone know of a good looking car mount that will fit with the iPhone 4 so that I can use with my GPS apps?

2. -C- macrumors member

3. mgirg macrumors regular

I got the arkon slimgrip. Universal mount but holds the iPhone 4 very securely. You can alter the grips, has a very strong suction mount and a good dashboard adapter, and can be used in landscape or portrait and is cheap. I am very impressed with it and because it is universal you won't have to change it every time you upgrade your phone.

4. drkash macrumors regular

5. gnortenjones macrumors regular

How exactly does the Clingo work? Is it like a "sticky pad" you can put on your dash to keep things from rolling around? Does it hold at a vertical angle?

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I really like my Arkon. It seems like a quality mount. They make windshield and dashboard variants. I have the IPM512 and used it on vacation recently. Very nice. It'll even work if you have your phone in a case. All the gadgetry is inside. When the phone is not in the mount, it essentially looks like a flat panel with 4 sticks coming out of it.

The lower two legs are on springs, so it grips the phone against the upper legs. It can rotate around 360*, so you can get any configuration. I was quite impressed.

http://www.arkon.com/iPhone_4_Car_Mount.php

7. drkash macrumors regular

It works basically as a sticky pad, but it is VERY sticky and you have to use 2 hands to peel it off your phone. It leaves no residue. It can easily be rotated 360 degrees and stays in position whilst driving. I have the vent version and think its great. Time will tell how long the stickiness lasts but I'm sure it will last a good while.

More info on their website...http://www.clingo.com/

8. civicsiboi macrumors newbie

do u think the clingo would work with the otter box case?

9. drkash macrumors regular

Works fine with my incase snap smoke and cant see any reason why it wouldnt with any other case

10. gnortenjones macrumors regular

I did read on their site that matte cases, like the otterbox, may not work as well.

I went ahead and ordered one (and an Arkon just in case since it was only $15).

11. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

I like the breffo:

www.breffo.com

A little unorthodox, but it works great and obviously you can use it with any case :)

12. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I use a Kensington one with quick release, it is great! I really like it, works great with a naked phone, it will not fit with a case though, not even a bumper. I don't use a case, so it is great for me, comes with both a suction and vent mount, both work well.

I am really happy with this!

It is this one...

http://us.kensington.com/html/17595.html

13. seifer333 macrumors member

I have the MaCally mGrip and it's great.

http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=290

It fits my iphone with the case and the suction is very good. It comes with two styles of holder and fits into three different positions. Minor complain is the holder does shake when I'm driving due to the cantilever.

For $10 I can't complain.

14. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Kensington Power Port. Opens nice and wide for any size - in-case or not - plugs into the car charger and has a pass-through for any kind of charger you want to use. The only issue you might encounter is your actual accessory ports - my Civic's port is a bit loose so it will swing just a tiny bit, but most of the time it's fine. I use it with Navigon every day. It's at just the right height for me. I don't like window/suction mounts at all so this is about my only other option other than permanent ones like those made by Pro-Clip.

15. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Just a word (or several) of warning: I have had a couple of Arkon mounts over the years and they are cheaply made. Some parts pertaining to the gears inside the ones with closing-arms tend to break, but the unit still works, and then it rattles all the time. I gave up on Arkon as cheap junk.

16. drkash macrumors regular

Just an update on the Clingo seen as though I recommended it - after a week of daily use it lost its sticking grip. Cleaning it as advised didnt restore it to its stickiness and so I've returned mine for a refund

17. drexfish macrumors newbie

www.breffo.com Spiderpodium

Check this out - $20 direct and will work in any car. I like it becuase it comes straight out with no mess in about 5 mins so no tell tell signs saying you have a GPS or phone in the car. It has eight legs four of which wrap around the iphone and four attach it to the dash. There picture looks much nicer than mine but included both to give the image and relaity ;-) Product is really useful though and I use it on my bike too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The actual device easily goes in your pocket or bag when not in use and is not bulky at all

[​IMG]

18. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

bulky = sturdy

those vent mounts are light and cheap looking. What's the point of a car mount if its moving around when you drive

I managed to combine a Ram mount + Proclip and directly mounted it to my dash. I can put as much pressure on it and it won't move/vibrate while driving

19. rmul86 macrumors 6502

http://usa.luxa2.com/product_showroom.aspx?s=21

I've been waiting patiently for this to come out, it can fit any and all mobile devices because it is adjustable. I like it's versatility. I have no idea when this goes on sale though, the website refuses to say.

20. ikaveh macrumors regular

it does look great. but i guess it will be pricy!!

21. iToNe24 macrumors regular

iToNe24

cant use a case with any of them

this one looks cool but it looks like the speaker is on the wrong side for the iphone 4s .. the speaker on the 4s is on the right hand side when looking at phone
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3BEUU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

22. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

I use the ProClip with my 3G, but it's adjustable and should fit the iPhone 4, no problem. It's kinda pricy, but works great.

I posted some photos on this thread.

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Panavise makes very solid vehicle brackets that work well with ProClip's device mounts (which I highly recommend). I'm not much of a fan of ProClip's vehicle mounts but their device mounts are all I use.