Whats a good cheap iPad 2 case sold locally?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by NocturnalEVO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

I don't want to spend $50+ on a nice ipad 2 case yet until I see what some other companies have yet to release and offer.

But in the meantime I still need to protect my iPad 2 from scratches and such.

I want to buy something inexpensive, similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    (just a generic picture, I would prefer a solid color)

I want to be able to buy it locally (walmart, target, best buy, etc.) without spending a fortune on something temporary.

Anybody been able to find anything like that at one of those type stores for not much money?

Thanks in advance!

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Your best bet would be to check your local Best Buy. I've read on here that they have some decent cases for what you're looking for ranging from $30-$50. Good luck.

3. NocturnalEVO thread starter macrumors member

Yea I plan on checking those places. But since they're far apart from each other, I figured i'd go straight to where more people have had more success in finding an inexpensive alternative.

4. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

I got this on Amazon for $5 with free 2 day shipping (with Prime). Works just fine with iPad2. Fits snugly and protects the device until I want to buy a real case... It's a good cheap alternative for now and you can get it quickly if you have Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WAK6H4

5. NocturnalEVO thread starter macrumors member

I might go with that. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

thanks a bunch for sharing!

6. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

I agree. I picked up a Griffin slim case the other day at Best Buy for half price($20), that someone had returned without the cardboard packaging.:cool:

7. mrcalabash macrumors member

8. rmswins macrumors newbie

+1

At first I wasn't sure you were serious, but kicking around the cost-to-benefit ratio made me realize this is a fantastic idea for a temporary carry-case. I only use mine around the house, therefore I'll probably just wrap mine in a spare microfiber towel until my clear shield arrives. For the OP, I'd vote for this method.

It may look tacky, but who cares when you save nearly $30 to apply towards your real, near-future case.

9. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

Amazon ahs some really inexpensive and free shipping I got mine for $8.94
    this is my temporary solution I was looking at some coach handbags today but they did not have the color I like I my not get it still try to find that perfect outfit for me and my iPad

10. mrcalabash macrumors member

I dunno. I think of it as some kind of geek chic, like taping your broken eyeglasses together.

11. jkolton macrumors newbie

If you have a TJ Maxx locally, they usually have sleeves just like the one you pictured. I got a black one for about $15. It has two sections inside so you could potentially put your ipad in there as well as some paperwork/cables, and it also has a pocket on the back that I use to store my stylus.

12. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat, waiting for a good case. Went to Walmart and got an HP mini sleeve for a 10inch netbook for $10. It's got some silly artistic design on the front but it's functional.

13. jedolley macrumors 68000

Target sells a 10" neoprene sleeve for $10. The brand name is Tuari (or something like that) and my Target had two colors, black and purple.

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

alot of good deals in here. I got an incase sleeve with strap from the apple store for $50 which is a rip off but I still have a week to return it so maybe I will and get one of these mentioned. I do like the strap on the incase tho but $50 is crazy however I was in a bind and was out on the town all night with my ipad 2 with nothing but a smart cover so I needed something then.

15. jedolley macrumors 68000

If you are looking for something with a strap, I know Staples sells the STM Jacket for iPad for around $20. Their site is currently down for maintenance, so I can't provide their link or price, but here is the link from STM.

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/ipad-bags/jacket-ipad/

16. richlee111, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

richlee111 macrumors regular

Don't know if you are near a Microcenter(http://www.microcenter.com) but they have a pretty good selection as well. They also carry a lot of STM bags, which seems to be a good bang for the buck brand.

Also, I ordered this plastic back cover from www.handhelditems.com(http://ow.ly/1scGdU). It was only $5.99. They also carry transparent screen protectors right now for $2.72. It lists these items as on sale right now, so I am not sure how long these prices will last. I have ordered from them in the past, and they are a reputable place that runs a review site/online store. Yea, these things are probably not the highest quality or prettiest, but they get the job done for what a piece of plastic actually costs:)

17. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Just ordered one of these for $4 with free shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PET5XG

Reviews say it is a tight fit for the iPad 1, so I think it'll work just fine for the thinner, smaller iPad 2. Will let you know once I get it (Wednesday, hopefully).

18. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I got one too and will have it Wednesday also. Cannot beat the price.

19. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Not as inexpensive as some of the other suggestions . . . . but
    Target has a Phillips black & red reversible sleeve on clearance, locally, for about $13
    It lists for about $19.00 on Target's web site:
    http://www.target.com/Philips-Rever...Rank=target104545&frombrowse=0&qid=1300940655

20. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Got this today. Unfortunately the fit is still a stretch around the corners. It'll do for now, I guess.

21. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

22. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

23. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

This one was so bad I decided to order the same one as another poster in this thread (Kensington Reversible Sleeve for Netbooks):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WAK6H4

24. ciscored macrumors member

25. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Thank you for the link. I appreciate it.