Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I'm thinking about getting one of those flash drives that sits close to the MBA's case (mini or compact) rather than sticks out a lot.

However, as I'm sure you can relate, I've entered research overload reading tech and customer reviews (remarkably contradictory). One confounding issue is the HUGE number of flash drives by the same manufacturers with only small tweaks to their name. Plus, some of the more recent versions of the same flash drives have worse reviews than their earlier ones!

I'd like to get a 256gb flash drive, but the review seem to suggest that the 128gb or smaller ones are better--faster and more durable. USB 3.0 drives are probably the better choice, but many reviews report some of them being slower than USB flash drives! ARGH!

I'm skipping the card slot ones because I find myself using the slot a lot with my camera cards. But I could easily give up one of the USB-A ports to use it with a dedicated mini-USB flash drive.

Any and all suggestions, experiences, etc. welcome!

AxelFoley

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
I'm thinking about getting one of those flash drives that sits close to the MBA's case (mini or compact) rather than sticks out a lot.

However, as I'm sure you can relate, I've entered research overload reading tech and customer reviews (remarkably contradictory). One confounding issue is the HUGE number of flash drives by the same manufacturers with only small tweaks to their name. Plus, some of the more recent versions of the same flash drives have worse reviews than their earlier ones!

I'd like to get a 256gb flash drive, but the review seem to suggest that the 128gb or smaller ones are better--faster and more durable. USB 3.0 drives are probably the better choice, but many reviews report some of them being slower than USB flash drives! ARGH!

I'm skipping the card slot ones because I find myself using the slot a lot with my camera cards. But I could easily give up one of the USB-A ports to use it with a dedicated mini-USB flash drive.

Any and all suggestions, experiences, etc. welcome!
I can completely understand what you are trying to accomplish here because that is the same thing I did nearly three years ago and successfully. I wanted something that affixed close to the frame of my MacBook and became an extension of my SSD. I keep all my documents and pictures/videos on it and leave it permanently attached to my MacBook.
I bought this from Amazon SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit USB 2.3 Flash Drive . Has been great for me.

Axel F.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Axel, much thanks for the specific feedback and link!

I take it that it's worked well for you... I was a tad concerned because several reviewers reported it being made of "paper thin plastic" in contrast to the metal that they used in the previous white version. One reviewer (or was it two?) even posted photos of the fragmented flash drive; a couple of others reported it breaking off inside their USB port!

Now, that may not be a problem if I were to leave it in the port all (or most of) the time... $19 is certainly a great price!

Would you have any opinion on this Samsung 256GB? Perhaps you encountered it at some point in researching or using flash drives. See https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Q41PM/ref=psdc_3151491_t1_B07855LJ99

It's metal, although one downside is that it is larger in physical size and the key chain loop hole (which I'd never use) is on the side rather than the back. That means it'd probably block the Thunderbolt port. The 256gb appeals to me as I work with lots of PDF files which bloat to enormous sizes when you annotate them in Preview.

I think I need a 256gb version of the old white SanDisk one!

Last edited:

AxelFoley

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015

I take it that it's worked well for you... I was a tad concerned because several reviewers reported it being made of "paper thin plastic" in contrast to the metal that they used in the previous white version. One reviewer (or was it two?) even posted photos of the fragmented flash drive; a couple of others reported it breaking off inside their USB port!

Now, that may not be a problem if I were to leave it in the port all (or most of) the time... $19 is certainly a great price!

Would you have any opinion on this Samsung 256GB? Perhaps you encountered it at some point in researching or using flash drives. See https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Q41PM/ref=psdc_3151491_t1_B07855LJ99

It's metal, although one downside is that it is larger in physical size and the key chain loop hole (which I'd never use) is on the side rather than the back. That means it'd probably block the Thunderbolt port. The 256gb appeals to me as I work with lots of PDF files which bloat to enormous sizes when you annotate them in Preview.

The only downside about this one, in my opinion, and to your point is the size that will remain outside of the port. You wanted something smaller than that. At the same time, it is not obtrusive either. Appears to sit flush with the port and the plastic portion is designed well for esthetic reasons. I support buying it with the intention of leaving it in the port at all times. Try it for 10+ days. If not then Amazon will surely take it back. As Nike says, "Just Do it".

Axel F.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I have a handful of those Sandisk nano USB drives... with different designs. Over the years I bought them to use with my 11" Macbook Air (because it didn't have an SD card slot).

This is the first one...
41rD16UK6wL._AC_.jpg
It barely stuck out from the USB port and rarely snagged on anything.

This is the second design....
61cX4nW8pNL._AC_SL1150_.jpg
Although it was curved, it seemed like it would catch less on things but those flares on the sides acted like hooks and caused MORE things to catch on it.

This is the latest design...
61w+ae1sqfL._AC_SL1100_.jpg
They resolved the issues with the flared "wings" (by filling in and rounding them) but they added another snag point by introducing that "handle". The plastic is indeed extremely thin. I do not use this one permanently installed on my 13" MBA because of that.

The Samsung drive you linked would be the worst of the options IMO because of how far it sticks out.

Reactions: Peadogie

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
It’s be great to get a 256gb one that looked like your first SanDisk one.

By the way, while that Samsung one I asked about clearly doesn't sit flush, the photos of it attached to a laptop show it doesn't protrude out that much, especially not compared to most flash drives!

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
I have a handful of those Sandisk nano USB drives... with different designs. Over the years I bought them to use with my 11" Macbook Air (because it didn't have an SD card slot).

This is the first one...
View attachment 887462
It barely stuck out from the USB port and rarely snagged on anything.

This is the second design....
View attachment 887460
Although it was curved, it seemed like it would catch less on things but those flares on the sides acted like hooks and caused MORE things to catch on it.

This is the latest design...
View attachment 887461
They resolved the issues with the flared "wings" (by filling in and rounding them) but they added another snag point by introducing that "handle". The plastic is indeed extremely thin. I do not use this one permanently installed on my 13" MBA because of that.

The Samsung drive you linked would be the worst of the options IMO because of how far it sticks out.
Great little drives, I've been using them (first version) on my 2012 nMBP for several years.
I really wish Samsung would make a USB C version of it. :(

Reactions: sracer

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
David, thanks for that link. I had looked into the Transcend at one point, but should have made clear in my op that I use the card slot a lot with the cards from my cameras. Which is why I am focusing on the USB stick drives.

I've recently been using an old 16gb flash stick and was impressed by its speed — so much faster than an external small portable hard drive with platter! I may rethink whether I need to have the drive in there all the time.

I'm also now giving thought to getting *two* 128gb sticks rather than one 256gb. It's the old case of not putting all one's one eggs in one basket. Of course, I laugh because it made think about using floppies or those 800K diskettes again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.