What's a good cooling pad for the MBP? Does it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stanny, Nov 9, 2010.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

My 13" MBP get's rather hot while playing games or even working normally cause I'm in a rather hot country. Would a cooling pad work for the MBP? There isn't any open fans or anything down there so will it do any good?

2. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I have tried two coolers. The coolermaster notepal infinite, sucked air in from the back and blows it upwards, this made temps worse. I also got a Zalman which I still use, the fans blowing up don't have any effect on temps but just raising the laptop off my desk and having free air underneath is helpful.

It doesn't seem like the fans help because the MBP has no vents on the bottom. This leaves you free to get nicer looking ones like the one above. :)

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

[​IMG]

TravelerPad for when I travel, and the iCurve for when docked at home. My MBP gets quite hot all of the time, whatever I am doing. Looking forward to a new computer that doesn't do that some day!

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I've an old (1st gen) MBP which is on its last legs; and have an Akasa Orion to keep it cool. It's quiet, and you can barely feel any air coming out of it, but it does make a big difference - anything from 6-10 celsius. Without it: my MBP would be very noisy (I think one or more of the laptop's fans is failing) and under heavy usage there can be graphical artefacts onscreen. At worst (normally when playing a long Flash video) I'd get kernel panics. Not with the cooling pad.

Normally, the laptop lies flat on the cooling pad with little space in between. I did find that propping the laptop up further by putting a couple of small lumps of styrofoam between the cooling pad and laptop, at the back; did help even further.

5. carlyinoz macrumors member

I use the Targus Chill Mat & love it... great ergonomics and it saves me from the "macbook is about to slide off my lap" feeling. I actually bought it for my previous computer but suits macbook just fine. Dual fans.

(edit... so maybe the fans not so useful for Macbook? Hadn't really thought about it, as I said I got it for my last laptop which was on its last legs and chronically overheated. Managed to get a full 7 month extra out of it due in large part I think to the cooling mat)

More info at http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=AWE55US

[​IMG]

6. hzxu, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

hzxu macrumors regular

Hope this is not late...but here is what my "cooling solution":

[​IMG]

What are they:
    1 a laptop table/raiser (wooden) to lift it up, this is not for lifting part of the notebook, only for me to put my USB keyboard under it.
    2 I used to have four rubber things at the four corner of the notebook but four coins are sufficient(one each).
    3 a desktop fan bought from Safeway at about $10 with maximum speed blowing towards the hinge, this is where the heat dispatches, most cooler pads blow air to or suck air from the bottom which are useless for Mac as the bottom part has no vent.
    4 you can find cheaper fans at <$10 for this purpose
    5 the result? the hottest parts(near power and left palmrest) now feels like as cold as the MBP is switched off in the night.

7. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Macbook pros get pretty hot on the bottom. I would guess cooling it from the bottom would have a positive affect.