What's a good Go Daddy alternative?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Yr Blues, May 20, 2008.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I'm pretty new to creating websites. All I know is that I don't want to register a domain name with Go Daddy, but there are so many other companies I just don't know. Suggestions needed. Thanks.

I would prefer a company that didn't bow down to government/political pressures.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well if you're just not going to buy a domain name, your host can usually, more than likely, register the domain name when you sign up for service with them. i know ASO (a small orange) does this.

3. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

I need to buy the name, too. I'm think of using Key Systems just because they have kept The Pirate Bay free from hassle. It costs a lot more, though. :(

Where are the libertarian domain name companies?

4. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I've used DomainSite for a few years now and they've never given me a problem. I think they are a dollar cheaper than GoDaddy, too, but I could be wrong.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats what i was trying to say, ASO keeps my domain registered as well as providing the hosting service.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

1&1. Been with them for a few years, and all they do is keep adding features, bandwidth, and storage. I'm starting to feel guilty over how little it's costing me.

7. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Now that looks like a winner! $6.99 with e-mail.

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

have a look at eboundhost. used them for a year and a bit now and i couldn't be happier. good service, friendly staff and awesome prices

9. uMac macrumors 6502

I used Netfirms, really good, cheap (I think the first year is only $5.95) and free privacy (Super Good).
    It was a recommend from a multi-site web master who is a friend of mine so I have no problems passing on the recommend with my additional thumbs-up.

10. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I've been using NameSecure.com as my registrar for more than 10 years.

11. cmuench macrumors member

I personally have used 1and1.com for domain registrations for about 5 years now.

As for the hosting side of things. Their is so many hosting companies out their its ridiculous. I have used hostgator and hostingtruth.net. both very good companies.

12. SeanChandler macrumors newbie

SeanChandler

Use Network Solutions for peace of mind

I have used Network Solutions for over 10 years, with zero problems. I have had web development clients come to me with domains registered with many other registrars, and I will not start any work on their site until they have transfered the domain to netsol.

Sure, they cost more, but to me the extra few bucks is a bargain compared to the headaches I have had with the other registrars.

13. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

14. sunday macrumors member

15. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I've used dotser for domain reg. They advertise 14.95 per year, but I found it cheaper, threatened to leave, and they dropped mine down to 7.95 per year. They're customer service is excellent.

I like hostgator for hosting, but I don't have a lot of experience with any others except bravehost, which I hate. Bravehost is slow and doesn't offer shell access. Hostgator, so far, has had everything I need, and has fast servers.

16. Comp800 macrumors newbie

17. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

name.com is decent.

Honestly it's hard to find a domain "company" that doesn't annoying the crap out of you by trying to sell you a bunch of useless things.

18. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

namecheap.com is the best imo....give you everything you need. They even have a noip type of update client if you want to run some sort of dyn-dns for your domain.

19. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I registered my domains with www.123reg.co.uk they came highly recommended. I think the domain name belongs to you, don't think this was the cheapest but my main concern was not to use the cowboys 'godaddy' as you've spotted. :)

20. Dark Elitist macrumors newbie

Well, there are a lot of registrars out there... Here's a list of registrars...

Anybody other than Network Solutions is a pretty good alternative to GoDaddy... I'm with Hover, personally, and it's my understanding that they're based out of Canada. My friend created Hover Coupon after problems with GoDaddy. Hope this helps...