What's a good, inexpensive printer for my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZenithGuardiano, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ZenithGuardiano macrumors newbie

Anything that works well and is inexpensive too. I regret not getting the rebate now lol...

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I bought a Kodak 5100 multi when my Epson died because the ink is so cheap - $10 for black, $15 for color. Prints great photos. I've seen the top of the line 5500 lately for $99.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There are so many printers for $50-100 nowadays. Some of these cheap printers also use cheap ink. I believe HP has a cheap printer with cheap ink prices. You can buy each colour separately, too. I don't know how they actually make money on those printers.

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

They make the money on the ink cartridges - a friend calculated that it was cheaper to buy a new printer (complete with inks) rather than replace the cartridges on her old printer more than twice. Ridiculous!

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It's all about the ink baby! I think they should just give the printers away since the ink is so expensive!

6. aneftp macrumors 601

Recommend Canon MP series

I usually recommend the Canon MP series. I think the current model is the MP600 or something like that.

The usually run about $140-160.

They are awesome printer/scanner/copier.

Perfect balance of price/speed/ink costs.

The Canon black ink cart contains about 26 ml which is almost twice as much as the HP. I believe the canon color ink carts contain 13 ML each. But their ink carts still contain more than both the Epson and HP

So please take into consideration the ink cart size. I just wish it was the good old days when my HP printer (circa 1999 and 2001) contained 42 ML of blackink and 39ml of Color Ink. My old HP has gotten so greedy with their ink profit margins.

Wonder why HP has lost market share on the printer side. The public eventually catches on even though I still think HP makes wonderful high quality ink printer. HP still has the best "black text" printing but the other manufacturers are not that far behind. But HP will kill because you have to replace their inks much faster (well maybe lexmark is close behind HP on screwing you on the size of the inks)