What's a good Instant Messenger these days?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZebraTalent, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ZebraTalent macrumors newbie

ZebraTalent

Hey all,

I'm looking for an IM that'll let me consolidate all my chat apps into one!

I know Adium used to be pretty good. Is there anything out there that will let me sync up my facebook chat or whatsapp or even mac messages into one place?

Cheers!

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

There's really not many left - Adium is very crippled because the two major? IM protocols;Facebook and Google Chat are gone. Their respective jabber access is no more. Trillian is probably the most recent updated IM application at https://www.trillian.im/news/ - Adium is dead it would seem.

Trillian can access Facebook by using authentication (unless that has changed since I last used Trillian)

The only other "IM" application is one of those new consolidating apps like http://meetfranz.com

However it doesn't have that appealing interface like Adium or Trillian or Messages for that matter.

There's one more like Franz but I can't quite remember that name right now.

There's also Skype, which can obtain access to your Facebook friends.

ICQ could be another choice - it looks the best after Trillian and can also obtain access to your Facebook friends and I think Google Hangouts too. Although I'm not sure about Google Hangouts. You might have to allow access to less secure chat clients within your Google account first. That could also be true for Trillian

3. ZebraTalent thread starter macrumors newbie

ZebraTalent

Thank you for such a brilliant and detailed answer :) Really helpfull! :)

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you are a developer, the code for Adium is open source, and you can jump in at will. The project is not dead-dead, but it is lacking a main developer with time on his hands to keep the steam going forward.

5. allan.nyholm, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Also, this app found its way through the internet tubes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-chat-all-in-one-messenger/id1139742811?ls=1&mt=8

Doesn't seem to be all that bad. I like the concept, however I have no idea who the authors are because they appear to be more anonymous than the developers of Adium and Trillian.

The website for the program mentioned:
    http://appyogi.com/apps/one-chat-all-in-one-messenger/

EDIT: Actually, while I have nothing against other people in other parts of the world, I'm not entirely sure about buying this app. Probably nothing will happen. I can think of scenarios however.

6. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I can't stand all of these apps that take up so much screen space. Even Discord has that problem. It's even worse than the flat-UI trend.

Adium might lack a few essential IMs right now, but at least the UI is sensible.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I always enjoyed trillian, on windows. Until I moved to mac, and icq/aol/yahoo etc - they all basically died.

Skype is terrible these days, just.. smh terrible.
    iMsg is quite nice it's my goto msgs thing on all my mac devices, but of course that leaves out the 2 android left overs.
    I use Whatsapp for them. Which on web.whatsapp.com also gives me a macOS interface I guess. Just like facebook's messenger.com But no, there's not a single solution. And to be honest. I don't want one anymore either.

I try to avoid them all as much as I can and focus on just iMsg.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

9. allan.nyholm, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Personally I have, after the whole Jabber protocol debacle, yet to find a suitable chat plugin for Adium that can bring in Google Hangouts and Facebook Chat for the 1.5 branch of Adium.

There might be some edge cases like yours where certain Adium plugins function for you.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2016 ---
    I think they look clumsy too; those big sidebars with large symbols like we are all fools.

I guess we can thank the smartphone for the elimination of development of the best IM through the aeons; Adium and Trillian and Proteus for that matter. Ahh yes - Proteus which was supposed to enter a version 5(I think - the latest is v4.12 or something) with a new interface and it was looking good too. Then not so much anymore.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2016 ---
    I would like to focus on iMessage too - but sadly there are still the Facebook and Android users of the world(Google). Until we have eliminated those then we are sadly going nowhere.