What's a good Mac to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chrismcfall, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Chrismcfall Suspended

In a few months (Octoberish) I will have £250-300 to spend. Is there any kind of Mac that I can buy with that? Anything with a G4 would do. Trying to avoid a tower, but wouldn't mind a Mini or iMac. Can anyone help me out? I'm not looking to buy just now..But i just want to see how far my money would go.
    Chris:)

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well if you can stretch to £360 and are eligible you can buy a brand new mac mini from the HE store.

3. Chrismcfall thread starter Suspended

I wont be able to I think. Not in HE. Does Secondary school count? I've wanted an iMac G4 for a very long time. Can a decent one be bought for my budget?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Secondary school doesn't count unfortunatley, however the is the normal educational store where the mini is £374.83.

iMac G4s (1 GHz) can be found on eBay for that price range but the mini will blow the socks off an iMac G4 meaning you wont want to upgrade for longer. Thus making it cheaper. Or there are used Mac minis (1.83 Ghz Core duo) on eBay for about £280 which aren't too shabby either.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You should have no trouble getting a G4 iMac. Watch ebay for a few weeks, use the "watch this item" feature on things you are interested in, or bookmark if you don't want to create an ebay account and see what price they finish at to get an idea of what you will be paying.

http://computers.search.ebay.co.uk/g4_iMac_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ4603QQssPageNameZWLRS

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You can also used the completed listing option in search to see how much they go for, that's what i just did to get some numbers above.

7. Chrismcfall thread starter Suspended

I only want the iMac for the screen really. I use a 2.2 Celeron with 512MB and XP every day..How does a 1GHZ G4 compare?
    I'll have to sign in and see how much things go for.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is a tough question, going by this page. It'll be slightly slow, approximately 1.7 celeron.

Can you view this page, shows the recent completed listing of iMac G4s

Attached Files:

9. Chrismcfall thread starter Suspended

Hmm. I might just save for a little longer and try to get a G5. Are there any good UK websites that sell Macs?