Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yeti60

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I was wondering what you all think a good media player is... all I have is QuickTime. I heard that VLC was good..

Any preferences?

Azin Squeeze

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
I stick with quicktime but installed flip4mac and perian so that it can use practically every file type.

Yeti60

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Well my Quicktime isn't working too well, I'm trying to watch an episode of Dexter that my brother gave me on a flashdrive... not playing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
VLC for me. Quicktime is really never used unless it somehow defaults to that. What format is the movie? It could be that.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
+1 for Perian and Flip4Mac

But I use VLC as well... whatever works best
I have yet to find anything that this combo can't handle

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Yeti60

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I think I'm gonna go with VLC... it's worked well for my brother and it worked for my episode that I watched.

How do I set it as my default media player?

TCU

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
VLC! Hands down no questions asked.

Plays EVERYTHING.. and then some... even formats I've never even heard of

dehory

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
I typically use a combination of VLC (for trickier files) and Quicktime/Perian/F4M (for better image quality, IMO).

Will take a look at Movist, though. Thanks for the tip! :)

TCU

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I forgot to mention, you'll find the VLC is MUCH faster than quicktime. Takes nearly no time to open up and load the movie. As opposed to quicktime which.. well.. keep waiting :rolleyes:

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I use (in this order)

QuickTIme +Perian
Movist
VLC

I watch a lot of downloaded YouTube videos and they are displayed correctly only in VLC. Sadly, last 2 versions broke the support for .flv so I use older 0.9.9.

keithOrbit

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
VLC, realplayer,mplayer. are all good media player, but i think Quicktime+Perian+Flip4Mac are very googd media player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.