Whats a good portable hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bntz313, Nov 8, 2007.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

2. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

I would recommend Seagate. They are easy to work with, are pretty small, and fit a lot of space on they. Tons of options as well. I have a 100 GB external hard drive from Seagate, and it's a few years old, but it still runs great. Can't recommend them enough.

3. visch1 macrumors newbie

I personally prefer to put my own together. I might go to OWC and get an enclosure with an Oxford chipset for FW and carefully select a HD brand with a 5 year warranty. Over the years I’ve had good dealings with Newegg and the evaluation of products by the users/purchases. If going this route make sure the drives sata or pata matches the enclosure. With the enclosure, self powered, I like a fan to move the warm air out and an aluminum case helps. I prefer quality over cheap as the items stored are valuable to me.

4. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Just what I was going to say. Bus-powered, and a choice of both USB and FW400 connectivity built in side-by-side, means it's just about the most flexible and portable external drive out there. Comes with cables for both types of connections, and can take a 5V DC mains adaptor if you ever find a need (I haven't, so far).

Available on the Apple Online store, comes in 80, 120, 160 GB sizes, afaik, and either silver or black.

Works great with SuperDuper, too.

Cheers.

5. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

Seagate has about 20 hard drives with both USB and FW400 connectivity in the same drive. Plus, a larger range of disk space, with up to 500 GB in their largest model. If 160 GB is the largest one of those Iomegas go, it's not really worth it. You could go that route, but if you're like me, needing all the space I can possibly have, 160 GB just isn't enough. Still, looks like a good consumer choice, especially if it's available on the Apple online store.

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

7. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like the Iomega its seems really good, Does this work well with a mbp. I heard about portable hard drives needing to much power? the Iomega seems like a good buy though. I don't need any huge drive, thats what I gonna get for home. I just want a nice small portable hard drive. Thanks

8. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

^^

Yep, works just fine on my MBP. No issues whatsoever. :)

9. whoops macrumors newbie