Whats a good removable hard drive.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by natatos, May 29, 2009.

1. natatos macrumors regular

2. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

also I need one over 200GB and not that much if I need to I'll go over $200 but I'd rather not.

3. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

LaCie Rugged Hard Disk 500 GB External hard drive :cool:

Got one myself, its magnificent. Connects throught USB2 / Firewire 400 or Firewire 800.

Newegg has them: Link

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know what the best drive is per say but I am a very satisfied user of a 500GB G-Drive mini. The price does look very good on that LaCie. Another option to consider is the OWC Mercury On-The-Go. Provided that you're not using a Unibody MacBook, go for something with FireWire, and FireWire 800 if your computer is so equipped. However, you have listed several drives that serve different needs. What are your goals for your hard drive? Portability? Redundancy? Network connectivity?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Lacie ruggeds are great, I love the WD Passports but I don't travel frequently with them.

6. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

I just need it to backup my files, I'd also like it to be portable but thats not as important

7. leavingwave macrumors newbie

i'm pretty happy with my gdrive mini.. works great!

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you care about portability at all, you want something in the 2.5" form factor. As I stated earlier, if you have a FireWire port then it's best to make use of it, since USB is dreadfully slow.

If you throw portability out the window, in the 3.5" size you can get a lot more GB for the buck, and there are more choices to choose from. Something like the Time Capsule affords maximum ease-of-use since it functions as your router as well, and doesn't need to be physically connected to your computer.

Basically, if you think you might want to lug the drive around at some point then go for a 2.5" drive, but if not, go for something stationary with more capacity for your dollar.