What's a good tablet PC to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superspiffy, May 7, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

What's the best tablet PC around? A friend of mine is looking to buy one to start college this Fall. So I'm guessing it must be portable and light enough to take to classes. I don't imagine she'll be doing a lot of gaming too. So what has a good balance of cost and performance?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I got my Fujistu tablet off newegg for $1400 about a year and a half ago. I opted for another battery over optical drive, so it lasts while I am at school(2 batteries in at once). It works very well for taking notes. I haven't had any problems with it. When I was researching...gateway's were cheaper, but ugly, and said to have issues with the stylus. IBM has some now that look good. Also, check out hp. Depends also on what kind of power you need. Mine has integrated graphics, but that is fine as it is my secondary computer.

3. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

If you wanna stick with OSX you can always go with the ModBook

Link

They seem pricey but they do give you OSX and GPS is an option which is kinda cool.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Seem pricey? They are $1000 more then a regular macbook. You could almost buy 2 sperate comps, a tablet PC and a macbook.

5. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

My friend is a PC user

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

get a MacBook and a tablet and throw XP/Vista on it. Vastly cheaper.

I mean, you are asking this on a Mac forum, so expect some Apple/Mac-centric answers...

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've wondered how that works. Does it draw from both batteries simultaneously, or in sequence?

8. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

If your looking for a PC, take a look at some of the toshiba.
    My parents have a portege m200, an its great. So very portable and versatile.

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

it draws power at the same time, i.e, they are both at 30% at the same time.

10. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

IBM ThinkPad X series.

HP Pavilion TX1000z series.

11. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you!

12. Nick T. macrumors regular

My #1 son started college with a Fujitsu Tablet and after three and a semesters he's in love with it as a supplement to his homebuilt C2D desktop. As a physics major the drawing capability is invaluable.

He's had no hardware or software problems - - not even with an upgrade to Vista from XP.

No matter what you get, buy a second battery - - even though they're rather expensive.

As a PC user since the CP/M days with about a year of evaluating OS X using a Mac mini, I'm on the verge of buying a Modbook - - built by Axiotron and sold by OtherWorldComputing.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I saw you also posted in that thread... doesn't the Modbook remain vaporware at this point? I mean, that they are promising you five weeks is all well and good, but now some 15 months after it was announced, AFAIK no one has ever received one.

14. Nick T. macrumors regular

The modbook forum makes it appear that deliveries have been going smoothly now. (since the end of January).

Sure looks attractive to me!

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, yeah? That's good to know. I'm surprised there have not been any hands on reviews of production units. At least, I can't find any... the newest I could find was a review of a sample at MW 2008.... Good for them, though, if they're actually delivering now. :)

16. Nick T. macrumors regular

Here's the activity at Axiotron Forums - - do you suppose that it's faked?

I'll phone OWC tomorrow. They have a good solid reputation.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

HP TX serious use different touch tech, which is said to be inferior than others, You might want to take a look at lenovo, gateway, acer's offering.

18. Nick T. macrumors regular

Here's a thread on ModBookGallery that shows delivieries starting back in February ......

19. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Does ModBook really exist? You gotta be kidding me.. how come its not on Apple Store?

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Because its not an apple product and apple is not responsible for it.

21. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, that is correct. A third party buys Macbooks and modifies them to make Modbooks (thus the name). They run OS X and they even use OS X native technologies for the most part to manage the touchscreen.

So the Apple warranty is voided in the process, and the assmbler (that Axiotron or whatever) is the one who bears responsibility for the product. Apple seems to loosely endorse then product, though -- e.g. plugging them at MacWorld.

So it isn't totally infeasible that it ever end up being sold in Apple stores. However bear in mind that it was announced in Jan 2007 to be available within a month or two, and they are just now shipping out; so that is another issue that affects where you might be able to find one.

It seems like both Apple and Axiotron see it as a relatively low volume custom product for a niche market.

23. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Wow, this seems very worth looking into... let me check it out

24. methodmano macrumors member

I have a friend who does a lot of graphic design work and has a Dell Latitude XT. He really loves it.