What's a good wine?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
I'm sick of my two buck chucks. Name a good cab, shiraz, or pinot noir. Cheaper is better.

If you can find Rosemount Estate Shiraz (with the black label) that's my favourite.
Then Penfold's .

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If quality yet cheapness is paramount, then many Chilean reds represent good value.

I don't know what labels you may see on your shelves because wine can be packaged in different ways for different markets but a little hunting around may turn up some treasures.

I also adore Australian reds but they're usually priced a little higher...

Applespider

macrumors G4
Not a rosé fan tho it appears to have become alarmingly popular this summer... shudder!

I'd back up Blue's comments on Chilean wines although they can be very full-bodied with a fair amount of tannins so I prefer drinking them with food. I enjoy a good Zinfandel - Ironstone do a fabulous one.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
London
South African reds (especially shiraz) can be very, and not very expensive either. They do tend to be quite full-bodied.

Anything with a KWV sticker on the neck of the bottle is probably quite good.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Ravenswood makes a very nice "Vintners Blend" series of Merlots, Zinfandels and Syrahs. ~$10.00

For about $10.00 more, they have a county series, which is also very nice. I especially like their Donnell Merlot.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
I adore Brown brothers wines from victoria, in particular the moscato, dolcetta & Syrah, Cienna and spatlase lexia, they are sweeter wines but they are good, no cheap wine is worth it in my opinion

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
gwuMACaddict said:
it would help us if you would tell us what *you* like in a wine...
how long before someone says "a full body and good legs"?

(oh there you go, i just said it :p)

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I'd suggest trying a number of different wines on your own. Everyone has different tastes and I can't count the number of times I've tried a bottle that was highly recommended and found it to be awful. You should be able to find a few wines you enjoy without spending too much cash.

That being said, among many other wines, I really enjoy 7 Deadly Zins.

http://www.lodivineyards.com/wines7dz.htm

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Q Sonoma County Merlot

I've tried a bunch of Merlot's lately and I like Q Sonoma County Merlot the best. It's about $20 a bottle though. You can find it at Albertsons if you have one near you.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
A good idea would also be to find a local wine store. The one I use is the Wine Warehouse ( http://www.winewarehouses.com/ ). It only in Florida though. Actually, Cooknn, there's one in Ft. Lauderdale. Anyway, these smaller stores will have knowledgeable people who have actually tried the wines and can make some good recommendations at reasonable prices. Also, at least at the Wine Warehouse, the wine is generally a couple dollars cheaper than at a grocery store.

Edit: And BTW, I have no stake in the above stated company, just a shopper. :)