Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prettyboyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
Hey everyone i tried mroogle and search but i couldn't find exactly what i was looking for and i know this community knows it all.

i am trying to prevent my new 2010 macbook pro from going to sleep when the lid in closed. i know there are programs that do this but they keep the display on as well. I wanted to know if there is a program that does it and has the option of turning off display. i am running snow leopard 10.6

thanks for everyone's help. i have insomniax which does it but doesn't sleep display

Prettyboyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
thanks i guess that could solve it. just thought they had a program that combined those preferences. thank you so much for your quick responses

matttung

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
HK
Or, what I usually do is -

Set the bottom left or right hot-corners to 'Switch off display', then as you put your screen down, move your cursor to the corner - bam, done.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
+1 on using Screen Saver -> Hot Corners ... move mouse over one of the corners, and display can go to screen saver mode, or sleep.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I leave the notebook open and press Control-Shift-Eject to put the screen to sleep.

Prettyboyian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
no i want my computer not to go to sleep when the lid closes. but the programs that do this keep the display on as well. and i dont want to keep the display on while the lid is closed. the ideal program would be one that when u have it running and you are downloading something lets say overnight and you dont want to keep the lid open all night you set it to not to go to sleep but the display goes to sleep and when you open it up the display turns back on and the computer is still downloading

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Oh, I get it now (everyone's replies now).

But are you looking for something that will: sleep the display automatically as you close the display, and automatically wake the display as you open the lid as many non-Apple laptops do normally?

Dunno, but you could follow the guy above with the hot corner display dimming. That would work just fine.

sgrego08

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
alternative to hot corners is ctrl+shift+eject to automatically put the display to sleep

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I've always been driven mad by this attribute of my Macs.

I'd like to close the lid and walk to the other room, or down the hall to another studio, open the lid and not have to relog into my messenger programs and such.

The OP is looking for the same thing; like how Windows does it, closing the lid doesn't put the system to sleep, but it turns the screen off.

I'd pay for an app that did that. As far as I know, there's no option for this built into OS X. Hopefully I'm wrong and somebody can point it out.

bibi2205

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
The OP is looking for the same thing; like how Windows does it, closing the lid doesn't put the system to sleep, but it turns the screen off.

The default Windows settings do put the system to sleep when the display is closed.. But it's tweakable ofcourse :)

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
The default Windows settings do put the system to sleep when the display is closed.. But it's tweakable ofcourse :)

Oh, yeah! You're right. I forgot, that's the first thing I change when I install windows on a machine. At least it's an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.