Whats a program that stops sleep in macbook pro but allows display to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prettyboyian, May 5, 2010.

1. Prettyboyian macrumors newbie

Hey everyone i tried mroogle and search but i couldn't find exactly what i was looking for and i know this community knows it all.

i am trying to prevent my new 2010 macbook pro from going to sleep when the lid in closed. i know there are programs that do this but they keep the display on as well. I wanted to know if there is a program that does it and has the option of turning off display. i am running snow leopard 10.6

thanks for everyone's help. i have insomniax which does it but doesn't sleep display

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. a9205 macrumors member

system prefs
    energy saver
    computer sleep off
    moniter sleep 1 min etc

4. Prettyboyian thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i guess that could solve it. just thought they had a program that combined those preferences. thank you so much for your quick responses

5. matttung macrumors member

Or, what I usually do is -

Set the bottom left or right hot-corners to 'Switch off display', then as you put your screen down, move your cursor to the corner - bam, done.

6. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

+1 on using Screen Saver -> Hot Corners ... move mouse over one of the corners, and display can go to screen saver mode, or sleep.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

I leave the notebook open and press Control-Shift-Eject to put the screen to sleep.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Sounds to me like he wants his computer to stay awake when the lid is open.

But all the replies are for screen sleeping.

I'm confused, he got help he didn't ask for.

10. Prettyboyian thread starter macrumors newbie

no i want my computer not to go to sleep when the lid closes. but the programs that do this keep the display on as well. and i dont want to keep the display on while the lid is closed. the ideal program would be one that when u have it running and you are downloading something lets say overnight and you dont want to keep the lid open all night you set it to not to go to sleep but the display goes to sleep and when you open it up the display turns back on and the computer is still downloading

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Oh, I get it now (everyone's replies now).

But are you looking for something that will: sleep the display automatically as you close the display, and automatically wake the display as you open the lid as many non-Apple laptops do normally?

Dunno, but you could follow the guy above with the hot corner display dimming. That would work just fine.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

+1 this is what I use, works perfectly, fast and easy, no need to install any third party programs

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Uh yeah, but the Hot Corner method is much faster and easier than a key combo. :)

14. sgrego08 macrumors newbie

alternative to hot corners is ctrl+shift+eject to automatically put the display to sleep

15. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I've always been driven mad by this attribute of my Macs.

I'd like to close the lid and walk to the other room, or down the hall to another studio, open the lid and not have to relog into my messenger programs and such.

The OP is looking for the same thing; like how Windows does it, closing the lid doesn't put the system to sleep, but it turns the screen off.

I'd pay for an app that did that. As far as I know, there's no option for this built into OS X. Hopefully I'm wrong and somebody can point it out.

16. bibi2205 macrumors member

The default Windows settings do put the system to sleep when the display is closed.. But it's tweakable ofcourse :)

17. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Oh, yeah! You're right. I forgot, that's the first thing I change when I install windows on a machine. At least it's an option.