What's a reasonable price for a used macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bq06, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bq06 macrumors newbie

hi guys, my friend is selling his black macbook thats less than 1 year old and we'll be negotiating a price in the near future. i'm curious what you think is a reasonable price for both of us. he initially said $1000 but i said i would want to negotiate that since i could buy a new one for $1400 (student discount). he said thats cool and the $1k was just a starting point.

he messaged me:
    "It's the mid 2007 model, released in May of last year. I actually placed the order before that revision but was given an upgrade anyway. So it's 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, DVI adapter, 802.11n and Bluetooth, plus DVD burner. Screen's in great shape, keyboard and trackpad are slightly smudgy due to use. Battery lasts between 3 to 4 hours."
    also, he said he's selling it because he really has no need for a laptop and wants to replace it with an iMac.

what do you think? thanks! :D

2. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

$1k is actually a pretty fair price. Check eBay and save a few auctions on the same machine for the current market value. If you can get it for $800, that would be a hell of a deal. But $1k is fair.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i agree, 1000 is more than fair, theres an auction for an earlier model (2ghz) going for around $900 apple products particularly computers, dont lose their value very fast

4. khunxhor macrumors member

another reason why i switched to apple. I would have to pay someone to take my old dell...but I can probably sell my mb if I want to upgrade it in a couple of years.

i would say the same also, if a new one is only 400 more, I would probably lean towards that...just my opinion, i dont have too much experience buying/selling used laptops.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I sold mine about two months ago (with 2.5GB ram, same model) for $1050.