What's a red folder in Dreamweaver indicate?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by proflemon, Dec 23, 2008.

1. proflemon macrumors newbie

I was disconnected from the server while updating a site using Dreamweaver 8. When I reconnected, all the folders were red (they're usually greyish green). Anyone know what the red indicates?

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Probably REMOTE or TESTING server view, different than local view (green). If you setup a remote or testing server for a given site.

-jim

3. proflemon thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a newbie mistake

Thanks for the reply, Jim. It was a newbie mistake...It turns out I had switched (although I swear the program did without me) to looking at the Testing Server view. I'd never seen that view before; I always have it on Remote Server view.

So if it's of use to anyone, the green/gray folders are Local, the red are Testing Server and the blue are Remote.

If one's Testing and Remote settings are the same, does it amount to the same thing to make changes on the Testing Server as it does to making changes on the Remote? Looks like that was the case for me. Before I realized that I was working on the Testing Server, I made changes to the site. Now that I switched back to working on the Remote, looks like the changes worked fine on the Remote (live) site--and worked fine according to a regular browser.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The purpose behind having local, testing and remote sites is for separate development platforms for a given project following the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) standard. In DW "local" is intended for storing the local files, "testing" is intended to be where the server technology is setup, i.e. a sandbox server running PHP/MySQL, for purposes of development and testing in an environment that mirrors the production/presentation "live" site. Then "remote" refers to the actual live site, i.e. where you publish the finished product. Of course how these 3 sites in DW are used depends on the network topology and server resources, everyone does it differently as network drives are involved, they have one server for all three sites, or multiple servers.

DW is flexible for site setup, is the point.

Thanks for explaining the colors and I'm sure people who have used DW for years might have learned something. Your newbie mistake is typical, expected and trust me --- I've been there, done that! ;)

-jim