what's a useful app for tracking progress while on a bicycle?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by UHFrank, Mar 31, 2012.

1. UHFrank macrumors member

UHFrank

Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone has had good experiences with apps that can track bike progress such as the nike app for running, if so which ones Thanks in advance.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I've tried a few (free) ones, so far I enjoy RunKeeper the most for my needs.

3. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I use Nike/gps only running / cycling GPS that allows you to play actual playlists in iTunes..

4. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I use Strava Cycling. It tracks each run, total distance, time, average speed, max speed, elevation gain, map route. I'm really happy with it.

5. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I use Ascent. It imports my workouts from mynagrmin Forerunner 301. I can tell it I biked, hiked, snowshoes,anything I want. It will also keep track of the bike and shoes I use.

I've also imported workouts from the iPhone using motionx gps but they don't have hr data so it's not my first choice.

6. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Bike CycloComputer HUD - picked it up for free on offer

7. peckerhead macrumors member

peckerhead

8. krz7 macrumors newbie

I've also tried some and find Endomondo the best.
    It tracks your activity, speed, averege speed, time, distance etc. You can check it in app and at their website. You can even see your training on the map and challange your friends!

9. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

imapmyrun has a setting for biking, I believe. i use the free version to calculate my running stats. fantastic.

10. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Does this allow you to import past rides? Via a gpx file or something similar?

----------

Do you have to sign up for an account to use this? Or can it run as a stand-alone app?

11. JadedBen macrumors regular

Another vote for this. Don't have to sign up for anything, not that I remember, bought it over a year ago, but works really well. I mainly use it for running these days (they have 3 apps with different names but do the exact same thing) and always seem to be pretty spot on.

12. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

How much data does the app use? I just recently purchased it, but I haven't been able to test it out yet. I'm planning on using it tomorrow.

I normally do 50km's when I ride... How much data do you think the app would use, if it was running for a couple hours at a time?

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I've tried iBike, MapMyRide and Strava. Strava is my preferred app; just seems better thought out. Wish it had a black-on-white mode, though. I think that's easier to read on very sunny days.

14. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Sports Tracker is a good choice, I use it a lot for Cycling!

15. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

That's what I use and I like it a lot , running and biking it records it all.

16. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I use ismoothrun, it switches to the accelerometer when GPS signal is low, using data from when your GPS signal was strong to calibrate the accelerometer distance. I love it!

17. Selmir macrumors member

Selmir

Endomondo is great app even for this. Had tried others who have been mentioned here as well, but I rank Endomondo No. 1 right now. Try the free version and give it a shot, you probably would like it :)

18. peckerhead macrumors member

peckerhead

I tried it when I was abroad and had data disable, and tt can run fine without a data connection. It will still gather GPS data, keep track of times, etc and only needs a data connection to plot your route on the map, which it does when you end the workout.

As long as you have twitter, facebook, etc turned off it should not really neec to use any data when running and will use a small amount to load the maps for the GPS locations when you finish.

19. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know.

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I just used MotionX on my ride today. It's greate.

I simultaneously used a biking specific program that had a good interface, but didn't track distance accurately.

21. kraigkimbo macrumors newbie

22. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

By far the best is

Runmeter/Cyclemeter

http://www.abvio.com

23. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just started using Mapmyride about a month ago. I love it! It does a great job of tracking times, speed, and calories. I also love the way it sets up courses and you can compete against your best time, and others who are riding on the same course. Mapmyride also organizes corporate challenges and it's fun to enter and get points simply by recording your rides.

The real magic for me is the many different dashboards that you get access to when you login on your computer. I have to say, it's my new favorite app and it helps to keep me motivated on my bike!

24. ben123456 macrumors regular

25. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I agree, there was a small upgrade a few days ago.