iPad What's Actually New in the iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by John55455, Oct 26, 2013.

1. John55455 macrumors member

Trying to decide if I should buy one.
    But I'm wondering what was actually upgraded from the last iPad.

As I understand it:

- Thinner and lighter
    - iPhone 5S processor (not A7X)
    - M7 coprocessor (I'm not really sure how this would be useful on a tablet)

And maybe they upgraded the Wi-Fi? But then again that doesn't really matter because even if you had 500 gigabit Wi-Fi the bottleneck is still your internet speed.

I hope I missed something. Or if this is it was the iPad presentation like 5 minutes long?

Thanks!

2. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Apart from the size, design, weight, camera, processor, not much.

3. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

I see what you did there... :cool:

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Many balked at the IPad 4 even though they rather have the larger screen and better resolution. Now that is something to really think about IMHO as the Air probably needs to be seen and held to believe.

Ain't that enough when it was really what you rather have had in the first place?

5. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

It is beautiful, don't you know that? :)

6. I8P'CS Suspended

Personally feel the same, I had pencilled in a buy as i thought it would be more of an upgrade to my 3, speed wise it clearly will be and I know what differences it brings. That being said it's IMO still a minor upgrade.

I am not one of these people that upgrade just for the sake of it or to keep up with trends or wow my mates for a day or two, the processor is supposed to be advance for it's age which could be good, 64 bit and al that.

What annoys me is Apple kill the battery/responsive with each new OS. Its happened to my 3 and I certainly won't be upgrading to latest OS on my next iPad purchase. The weight loss is my main reason I'm likely to get the Air but all in all it's nothing much if we're being honest IMO.

The fact it's being released in all countries shows they are plenty to go around, No pre order is to gain attention with rushers dying to get their hands on the New air this in turn attracting queues and media coverage Apple needs for the iPad range

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not if it's stuff on your own local network.

8. rovex macrumors 65816

I think you'll find the wifi update to be very useful.

Arguably more than wifi AC

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So what would be a major upgrade?

To me, the thinner, lighter design by itself seems like a major upgrade. Add a faster processor, better camera, universal LTE chip... It is a major upgrade.

That said, if you have an iPad 4 or 3, and you are satisfied with the performance, of course there is no need to upgrade. Technology moves in such a way that most products don't need to be upgraded every single release. You can hang onto a device for several years before upgrading, and they will still serve you well, even if you pass up on some major upgrades.

10. I8P'CS Suspended

You keep saying "better camera" isn't that for FaceTime? Don't use that. Funny people complain they can't take picture yet will hold up that big thing for FaceTime.

Anyway back on topic, Apple know people will buy, the screen will be updated next year as well as the iPhone, touch id i don't care about but will be introduced as well, I will not be rushing to upgrade Apple are exploiting their brand to the maximum good for them, i like their brands but won't be a sucker to Apple.

The Air is on the agenda then another upgrade in a few years. 2x faster each year really? marketing does hypnotise some i know. Not saying you, In general mate. We're all entitled to our opinions.

11. John55455 thread starter macrumors member

The camera was upgraded? I thought it was the exact same as the iPad 4. What is the change?

12. Vladislav macrumors regular

Why on earth everyone keep mentioning that Ipad Air got better camera??? :rolleyes:
    Its the same 5MP back and the same 1.2 MP front! period!

13. I8P'CS Suspended

The iPad Air comes with the same 5-megapixel iSight rear camera as found on the iPad 4, despite rumours suggesting it would be upgraded to an 8-megapixel snapper.

The front camera also remains the same as the fourth-generation iPad with a 1.2-megapixel camera, but it is said to have seen an improvement in low-light conditions.

The rear camera comes with an f/2.4 aperture and offers HD video recording, just like the last iPad, and you'll also get the same features including autofocus, face detection and panorama.

SO NO CHANGE

14. John55455 thread starter macrumors member

So basically the upgrade is:

- Thinner and lighter
    - New processor (+M7)
    - WiFi upgrade

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, I thought I heard somewhere that it got a better camera, but I may have been mistaken.

My point still stands, though. Just because YOU are not going to upgrade this year, doesn't mean it's not a major upgrade.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's pretty much it.

If you don't like that then I would suggest not purchasing it. That's pretty simple unless what you really want to do is complain.

17. Vladislav macrumors regular

One thing that i would like to mention, mostly because im not sure myself is it a meaningful upgrade or not, but apparently Ipad Air got stereo speakers (one on each side) comparing to Ipad 4 with just mono speaker.
    Am i right to assume that me might get a better sound from Ipad Air?

18. John55455 thread starter macrumors member

What's new that makes it a major upgrade?

19. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Yes, FaceTime camera. I think the new FaceTime camera on the 5s is a huge improvement and would welcome the change on the iPad. Spent a lot of time chatting to my best friend who lives in LA on FaceTime and the less grainy the picture is the better. But that's just me.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I already said, thin and light alone seems to me like a major upgrade.

----------

"Universal" LTE chip.

21. I8P'CS Suspended

As I mentioned personally think its VERY minor, but will still likely purchase but not another for a long time.

Take it you're NOT impressed much, right

22. Vladislav macrumors regular

if you talking to me, then i must say that i AM actually upgrading from my Ipad 2 :) its about time i think :)
    Also in my view this generation ipad is quite a good upgrade, considering all the new dimensions and weight etc. ( im really hoping battery life stays the same as they say)
    Its just missing the icing on the cake for me, and that would of been the touch ID, but oh well! cant get it all i guess :eek:

23. Night Spring, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, I was just using the generic "you," sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

I agree touch iID would have been nice, I quite like it on my iPhone 5S. But that is about the only missing feature I can think of from this year. So like you say, quite a decent upgrade. And I'm just psyched about lighter and thinner, so for me, this year is a major upgrade.

EDIT:
    Thinking back, from the first iPad to this year, my thinking went like this.
    iPad 1 -- new device, buy!
    iPad 2 -- thinner and lighter, buy!
    iPad 3 -- retina, buy!
    iPad 4 -- no difference in form factor, don't need faster processor, skip!
    iPad mini -- new, way lighter and smaller form factor, try and decided to keep.
    (Used iPad mini and 3 both for the year. Mini for going out, 3 for at-home use.)
    iPad Air -- lighter and thinner, most likely buy (if I can get my partner to agree to it)
    mini 2 -- not interested, like larger screen size better
    Next year -- ???

24. Bokes macrumors 6502

just about everything that matters.
    IMo- this is the biggest upgrade since original release.
    get it.

25. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Thinner and lighter is a big deal for the big iPad. The performance (both CPU and GPU) is doubled compared to iPad 4th generation + of course the M7 coprocessor. Besides that there are some improvements in wifi and ff camera. The only thing it doesn't have is touch ID (which has caused low supplies of the iPhone 5s around the world). Now imagine if they'd included it in the new iPads.:eek: