Whats after the trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Aug 16, 2012.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I know the trackpad is a legendary mouse, its beautiful, smooth, nice, and much, much, better than any other trackpad (all the windows one are horrible) or mouse I've used. Its been 5 years with the trackpad, still not tired of it, in 3-4 years tops they will probably make a new trackpad or mouse,
    I don't know if something can get better than the apple trackpad, but any ideas? It seems every OS improves it somehow (still awed from the notification center gesture).

2. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I can't think of anything better for a laptop, but I'm sure they'll figure something out. I really hope they won't decide to put touchscreens into laptops instead of the trackpad turning MBP into oversized iphones/ipads. Other than that I think we'll be fine.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'm not sure on that. Technically, before the multi gesture trackpad, the single button trackpad like on MacBooks, iBooks, and PowerBooks was the same for nearly ten years. It wasn't until about 2005 that multi finger support was added in the PowerBook G4 line, which then evolved into the gesture support we have today.
    The trackpad on the unibody and now retina MacBooks is great, and for the next couple of years, maybe even the next 5, I don't see any changes other than maybe some more refined gestures.

4. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

A small LCD with touchscreen as a touchpad. Do a quick gesture an KABOOM you have a little launchpad right there. Something like that I'm sure

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

That sounds horrible.

6. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a problem with touchscreen laptops, actually its kind of a nice feature. But I would like to have it as an option, to turn it off and on while still having the trackpad.

7. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

The Razor laptop (I forget its name) incorporates this feature quite well

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

The number of times I touch things on the screen on this Retina! Too used to ipads...

Agree that, for a touchpad, the MBP one is very good. Is certainly usable in emergencies, unlike most laptop touchpads. But the bluetooth 4 in the Retina is key for me, allows the use of a good wireless mouse which I use most of the time.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

iGesture.

I'd explain it and provide a video, but my NDA prohibits it.

:D

10. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

It would be cool if it had themes, like water and if you touch it, it waves around. or like grass and if you touch a piece of grass it twitches or moves.

11. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

12. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Holy crap you're right. I want one now

13. urkel macrumors 68030

I really don't understand this mental block people have where they hear "Touchscreen Mac" and they get upset because they assume Touch would REPLACE an existing input method. Touch would be an OPTION. If it offends you or you can't break off from a 1984 mentality of computer interaction then stick to mouse and keyboard. It's not a big deal.

But the more we see OS X develop the more obvious it seems that the future of input is a combination of Voice, Trackpad, Touch. And I can't wait for OS XI to see how apple handles it.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The trackpad will stay - the physical keyboard is what's going away next.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The trackpoint is better than the trackpad, sadly not many OEMs use them on their systems.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK