Whats all this talk about Quad Core?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dead goon, Jul 2, 2009.

1. dead goon macrumors member

I hear quad core for the MBP will be coming out sometime next year? And that they will release a MBP update sometime in feb.

This throws another spanner in my buying decision.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

What are you talking about? Quad core is an ab workout.

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Its 4 processors basically it will improve performance its already available for desktops. I wouldnt worry to much when they do come out expect a hit in battery life and heat so for now dual core is fine even for demanding mobile users.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Only for multicore-aware applications, of which there are currently few.

5. joehahn macrumors regular

why on earth do people need a quad-core laptop anyways??? the current macbook pro line is (in my eyes) all of the technology that i will really ever need.

6. dangerfish macrumors 6502

When I bought my first custom build computer in the mid 90's running Windows 95, the guy told me I would never need more than 32mb of RAM. :)
    Now I am running 4GB. You never know what you will need in the future.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

One could argue the guy was referring only to Windows 95 (Which is a fairly accurate statement.) :p But yes, you are right.

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

a quad-core laptop would be perfect for me. i need the portability for uni, and the cores for rendering.

Ultimately, I'd like the specs of my Mac Pro in a 15"/17" laptop with a HD screen...not asking too much is it...

*whoever says that X computer is enough for them should be limited, by law, to the computers and programs available at the time they say it for the rest of their life...

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If a Quad core chip is used, it will likely have to run at a lower clock speed. I'll take two higher speed cores over 4 lower-speed cores any day with today's software.

That may change down the road, but for now the drawbacks outweigh the advantages.

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

haha very true. Or "It does everything I need..." Like the guy in that Windows commercial.

11. dead goon thread starter macrumors member

I know what quad core is, I'm just curious because I hear they will be releasing a MBP with the quad sometime in the next year.

But as stated above, there will be little support for it, so by the time it comes round to being used properly I would of had good usage out of a duo core.

12. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

What are you talking about? Little support? How about the operating system Snow Leopard 10.6. It comes out in September.

13. ttopp macrumors regular

new os's and apps will start to use as many cores cpu's/gpu's as you can throw at them so the more the better.

think we will see ram banks like in the mac pros in laptops, so that we can get the best from the processing power, (the ram could be external, in a chair so we kin sit when we need to rest from carrying it) lol

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Clarksfield has Turbo Boost for 2.8~3.2 GHz depending on the model.