Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
it's been WELL over a month since we've had any quality releases. what's up with that stuff? also, Apples 30th birthday has come and gone with nothing but a Mac OSX update and a windowz thing.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
sam10685 said:
it's been WELL over a month since we've had any quality releases. what's up with that stuff? also, Apples 30th birthday has come and gone with nothing but a Mac OSX update and a windowz thing.

Boot Camp for some marked a very important event in Apple history and can be thought off the biggest thing since the iPod, I personally don't agree and think its a bad idea, I would however have liked to see an Apple PDA, a Video iPod or an Apple robot.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Some companies release a new product every month, week, or day of the year. Microsoft has some sort of important update or product release almost all of the time. But who listens. Apple is the master of timing it's product releases to maximise media interest and coverage. As noted above, BootCamp and inclusion of BIOS support is important along with Virtualization by Parallels is very important. Perhaps Apple will release a version of virtualization with a future version of OSX, perhaps they support third-party development of virtualization to avoid lawsuits, perhaps they will pick up Paralleles But I believe that Apple has been in the news recently, and the news is good. So, while product releases have not been recent (though the iBook is defiantly eol), it is likely that before June, more new products will come into the pipe line, just in time for school next year.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
On the hardware front, Apple have their hands full getting all their existing product lines moved over to Intel. On the software front, Apple have their hands full getting all their existing product lines moved over to Intel. On the iPod front, Apple have run into serious problems with their attempts to develop rectangular earbuds to match the rest of their hardware. The meatus stretchers are tied up in the FDA approval process.

Paragon

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
The new iBook (one of their best sellers both commercally and in education) is on it's way (potentially out in the next 30 days?)

The rest of the Mac range is on its way to the Intel world, I'd say there's quite a lot going on at the moment :confused:

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
sam10685 said:
also, Apples 30th birthday has come and gone with nothing but a Mac OSX update and a windowz thing.

Apple's 20th anniversary machine came a year after their 20th anniversary. We have to be patient, in the new next few months, there are going to be a lot of changes.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
What will we have next year?

I am looking to upgrade my powermac in Q1 2007, what technology do you think we will have?

Processor? 2x quad core 3.0Ghz 64-bit processor
Hard Drive? 2x 1 Terabyte fibre channel drives
Ram? 8 Slots 4GB per slot totaling 32Gb
Optical? Blue-Ray
Graphics? Quad SLI 1GB cards totaling 4GB graphics memory

40" displays 3360x2160 resolution

What do you think?
anything else?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Will Macs resale value be crappy due to Intel inside?

I suppose it is time for Macs to come in line with the rest of the industry :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.