Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Bought a D7100 a couple of weeks ago and just curious how much time it takes for Apple to update Aperture to include new cameras?

In the mean time is there a non-time consuming work around?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Bought a D7100 a couple of weeks ago and just curious how much time it takes for Apple to update Aperture to include new cameras?

In the mean time is there a non-time consuming work around?

I dont know that it is non-time-consuming, but you can try grabbing the adobe DNG converter, convert to DNG, and then import. I did a quick proof of concept on a d7100 RAW file and it seemed to work. While Aperture thinks you are using a RAW format, I don't know enough about DNG to understand what you lose, if anything, by doing the conversion. It flattens out some metadata but beyond that, not sure.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

The time varies, unfortunately, so it's difficult to give you a timeframe. When I got my Canon S95 about 3 years ago, it took something like 3-4 months before Aperture got updated for RAW on that camera. On the bright side, the time does seem to be getting shorter in the more recent past, probably about a month or less.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This is why I stress people to dump Aperture for Lightroom. Apple's head is just not in the pro game as it should be.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
This is why I stress people to dump Aperture for Lightroom. Apple's head is just not in the pro game as it should be.

Not totally true. Adobe and Apple tend to be pretty close in their updates for new cameras (usually within a week or so of each other). Keep in mind that Apple separates their RAW support from the program (i.e. their RAW updates apply to both iPhoto and Aperture), whereas Adobe has to release a full dot update. There have been times when Apple has released RAW support earlier than Adobe.

Just because Apple hasn't released a totally new version doesn't mean they're not working on it.

And....LR is no panacea, and not without its issues.

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Just a couple data points based on the release of the raw update and dpreview doing a hands-on preview of the camera,

Nikon D5200- preview February 18th, raw update February 7th
Canon 5D MkIII- preview March 2nd, raw update April 5th
Canon 6D- preview September 17th, raw update December 13th

Given that the previews are often before a camera goes on sale publicly or prior to widespread availability, I'd say that that's a very reasonable timeframe for the updates.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Typically it's a matter of weeks, and Apple and Adobe aren't too far apart when adding support. If the sensor is not brand new, support can be added more quickly, if not, it takes a little longer. It's not as if you will have to wait half a year or so for support. The only major difference between the two is that there are two, three brands such as Sigma and Fuji that Apple does not support and seemingly has no inclination to add support to.* But as long as you stick with either Canon or Nikon that won't matter to you.

* This will put me in a bit of a pickle: I plan on getting a Fuji X100s next, and I don't get along with Lightroom's user interface and the necessity to manage my own files.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks guys. Hopefully it will be soonish then as the D7100 has the same sensor as the D5200, and also Lightroom released its update a few days ago.

No interest in Lightroom BTW to the person who mentioned that. I tried it once and just like Aperture's workflow better even though I do use PS.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Thanks guys. Hopefully it will be soonish then as the D7100 has the same sensor as the D5200, and also Lightroom released its update a few days ago.
As far as I understand, the D7100 has the D5200's sensor sans optical low-pass filter. In any case, the differences are relatively minor and I expect Apple to update its RAW converter soon.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

No interest in Lightroom BTW to the person who mentioned that. I tried it once and just like Aperture's workflow better even though I do use PS.

Or you just download the free trial instead of waiting on Apple to release something that should already be available. Another instance of a better community and better support in the Lightroom camp.

Wait.... I see it coming..... it's "abandonware" right?

You are correct, sir, excluding iOS "updates" and raw file updates that usually come weeks after Adobe releases theirs.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Or you just download the free trial instead of waiting on Apple to release something that should already be available. Another instance of a better community and better support in the Lightroom camp.
It's just that all of that doesn't mean much if UI, UX and file management preferences do not jive with Lightroom. The OP specifically said he has tried Lightroom and does not like it, so what's the point of pushing it as an option?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA

You are correct, sir, excluding iOS "updates" and raw file updates that usually come weeks after Adobe releases theirs.

"Abandonware" is ex-Bibble-now-Corel-Aftershot-Pro. If you're lucky they might release twice a year without a peep otherwise. I totally expect that tool to go away, which is too bad since it has had great promise on the RAW processor front. Just extremely poor execution by the previous and current owners.

You may not care for the kinds of updates you currently get on Aperture, but it does get them and can hardly be called abandoned. And you can produce stellar images with the tool. I am proficient in and have both LR and Aperture and greatly prefer the Aperture workflow and UI (I find LR's UI to be atrocious). So a lot of it is certainly personal taste and what you value. Yeah, it'd be nice to see on-board lens correction, etc but it's far from being a showstopper for everyone. So bottom line, what works for you...works for you. You might feel it your life's mission to convert everyone to the "Lightroom Camp" but in the end, all of these are just tools and the image is what matters.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
It's just that all of that doesn't mean much if UI, UX and file management preferences do not jive with Lightroom. The OP specifically said he has tried Lightroom and does not like it, so what's the point of pushing it as an option?

Getting work done...

----------

"Abandonware" is ex-Bibble-now-Corel-Aftershot-Pro. If you're lucky they might release twice a year without a peep otherwise. I totally expect that tool to go away, which is too bad since it has had great promise on the RAW processor front. Just extremely poor execution by the previous and current owners.

You may not care for the kinds of updates you currently get on Aperture, but it does get them and can hardly be called abandoned. And you can produce stellar images with the tool. I am proficient in and have both LR and Aperture and greatly prefer the Aperture workflow and UI (I find LR's UI to be atrocious). So a lot of it is certainly personal taste and what you value. Yeah, it'd be nice to see on-board lens correction, etc but it's far from being a showstopper for everyone. So bottom line, what works for you...works for you. You might feel it your life's mission to convert everyone to the "Lightroom Camp" but in the end, all of these are just tools and the image is what matters.

Yep, you're right. Only the image matters. And I can get that image with LR alot faster without worrying if the company behind it will continue to support it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It seems to vary from just before the camera is available to a month or so after for D-SLRs. Based on how often the RAW updates have been, we should be seeing one soon. Looking over the software updates log on my Mac, this is when I installed the last few RAW updates which is pretty close to when they were released:
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.04 - 7 Feb 2013
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.03 - 13 Dec 2012
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.02 - 30 Nov 2012
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.01 - 25 Oct 2012

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom both have recent updates which added Nikon 7100 RAW support.

guppy34

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
Texas, USA
It seems to vary from just before the camera is available to a month or so after for D-SLRs. Based on how often the RAW updates have been, we should be seeing one soon. Looking over the software updates log on my Mac, this is when I installed the last few RAW updates which is pretty close to when they were released:
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.04 - 7 Feb 2013
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.03 - 13 Dec 2012
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.02 - 30 Nov 2012
  • Digital Camera RAW Update 4.01 - 25 Oct 2012

Any news on this yet? Does Aperture 3.4.5 support D7100 RAW files? Is there a plugin? I am still running an older version of Aperture (v2) and have pretty much convinced myself to stick with Aperture and upgrade to the current version (even though there are lots of rumors about a v4) rather than switch to LR (just don't want the learning curve).

Edit - well, never mind. Just noticed the requirements for Aperture 3.4.5 and I can't run it. Guess I'll live with v2 for a while longer...until I can afford my new Mac!

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Any news on this yet? Does Aperture 3.4.5 support D7100 RAW files? Is there a plugin? I am still running an older version of Aperture (v2) and have pretty much convinced myself to stick with Aperture and upgrade to the current version (even though there are lots of rumors about a v4) rather than switch to LR (just don't want the learning curve).

Edit - well, never mind. Just noticed the requirements for Aperture 3.4.5 and I can't run it. Guess I'll live with v2 for a while longer...until I can afford my new Mac!
The supported raw format list ifor Mountain Lion is here. Support for the Nikon D7100 was added back in May.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Typically it's a matter of weeks, and Apple and Adobe aren't too far apart when adding support. If the sensor is not brand new, support can be added more quickly, if not, it takes a little longer. It's not as if you will have to wait half a year or so for support. The only major difference between the two is that there are two, three brands such as Sigma and Fuji that Apple does not support and seemingly has no inclination to add support to.* But as long as you stick with either Canon or Nikon that won't matter to you.

* This will put me in a bit of a pickle: I plan on getting a Fuji X100s next, and I don't get along with Lightroom's user interface and the necessity to manage my own files.

Apple says Aperture supports the X100S, says you need Aperture 3.4 or later. I'm thinking of selling my 5DII as I don't use it much since I got the X-E1. I've really enjoyed the camera but it's heavy for me. Don't know whether to get the X100S as a back up when it's come down a bit in price or the X100. I keep reading about them both and sometimes I lean one way, sometimes the other.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Apple says Aperture supports the X100S, says you need Aperture 3.4 or later. I'm thinking of selling my 5DII as I don't use it much since I got the X-E1. I've really enjoyed the camera but it's heavy for me. Don't know whether to get the X100S as a back up when it's come down a bit in price or the X100. I keep reading about them both and sometimes I lean one way, sometimes the other.
I found the quality of Apple's RAW converter really good, although I'm not pixel peeping (I have better uses of my time). X100 vs. X100s, there is no contest, get the s, it's that much better of a camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.