What's Apple's inspection process before offering replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dangerous Theory, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Several months ago I dropped my iPhone and the screen developed a crack, so without much thought I simply bought a replacement screen off eBay and fixed it myself. For a few months now though, my iPhone 4 has an ever increasing collection of dust to the left of the screen. It's not noticeable in bright backlight, but annoying when the screen is locked.

I know I clearly voided the warranty when I pulled it all apart, but I'm curious what would happen if I took it to an Apple store. How much do the Apple geniuses inspect a phone? Would they likely just look at the screen and be satisfied that it's worthy of replacement, or do they extensively open them up to check? From the exterior, I don't think there's any sign of a DIY job, but if they were to pull it apart they'd definitely tell.

What do you guys think on the situation? Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I never understand the point of these threads. What do you have to lose by taking it in?

3. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

My time? I want to make it worthwhile, and posting a thread here in the appropriate forum seemed perfect. Jeeez.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

It differs from store to store, from genius to genius but they will probably inspect the inside so my guess is that they will find out about your little diy.

Is this the answer you were looking for cuz i don't think you will get an answer a lot more specific

5. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm just looking for people's personal experiences with taking faulty phones in.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there smart they will tell you to do one! If there dumb you will get a replacement!

Either way you can pay for an out of warranty replacement

7. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

It's not necessarily a case of smart/dumb. If their process isn't to open the phone up first, then they aren't going to know.

I know I could pay for a replacement, but if I was going to pay for anything it'd be another screen (they're around £30) as opposed to like £200. But obviously the idea of getting a complete replacement for free is somewhat more interesting.

8. Jason-94 macrumors newbie

Alright buddy,

i took my dad's iphone 3gs into a genius to have a look at the home button that stopped working, he couldn't replace the phone due to the warranty being 3 months out, so he had a look to see if he could fix for free. My mate took in an iphone 4 for a broken ff camera and he just replaced straight away

So if they can see the problem chances are they will probally replace, then they will open it up once you have left :)

9. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

If you have Apple Care you can do an express replacement online and its a guaranteed replacement.

10. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Mm, thanks for the experience. I read a few posts elsewhere saying they just replace iPhone screens with dust under the cover straight away so it sounds quite promising. I'll take a trip there next week I think. As long as they don't open the back up I'm fine lol.

Nah, I'm too cheap for that kind of stuff haha.