Whats Apples policy regarding Screen Uniformity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M Powered, Mar 27, 2011.

1. M Powered macrumors regular

Curious, I just tested my screen uniformity using my monitor calibration device to check brightness and uniformity.

I noticed on the bottom right of the MBP its significantly darker than the rest. The brightest area being the center. Is this regarded to be normal? Its like 20% darker at the bottom right.

Being my mbp is new, (less than a few days old) will it improve over time? Break in process?

Sorry, I'm just OCD on these things, but has anyone addressed this to the apple store and see what they did?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you are still within the 14-day return/exchange policy, just go to the store where you bought it from and ask for a new one.

3. M Powered thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just afraid the replacement would be worst... Aside from this one "issue" everything else is perfect :)

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

if the replacement is worse, just simply go back and ask for another replacement

5. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

that's precisely why i'm sticking with my regular resolution 2.2 MBP and not ordering a high res one from the online store. It doesn't have any dodgy pixels or heating issues or anything so it's definitely a keeper.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

What do you mean? Was there talk of issue on the hi-res display having dodgy pixels or something? Just curious why you mentioned it. Can't both be swapped out if there is an issue, or is the concern being you'd have to wait for another hi-res to be built?

7. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I'm sure if you've been reading these here forums since the new macbooks came out you'll have read about the overheating issue; fortunately that's one which has eluded me so far.

However, I returned one 2.0GHz MBP because the motherboard beeped when I did two finger scrolling on bootcamp and it didn't play music properly.

Pertaining to the screen, two consecutive 2.2GHz had pixel problems in the normal resolution screen. I opened one at home and the other in store to test it out.

Imagine how aggravating it would be to order one online only for it to arrive with either an overheating issue, a logic board issue, or a dead pixel or two. I only live round the corner from the Covent Garden store so it's no big deal to go there if there's a problem, they're usually very accommodating.

I'm going by my experience with the normal res screen. You're right, of course. They can always replace the screen if there's a problem with a BTO, but I'd rather not be without it for any length of time.

8. M Powered thread starter macrumors regular

I already exchanged my MBP twice already due to screen issues. The first one a good 1/3 of the top screen was noticeably darker, its the equivalent of turning the brightness down 3 clicks on the top 1/3rd of the screen, its that bad. 2nd copy had severe light bleed at the bottom, looks like a yellow mountain coming through from the bottom.

And now this is the 3rd Copy. Given what I experienced with the previous two copies, this is the best one yet. I'm just tired of going back to best buy to exchange, and I'm sure they are tired of seeing me there as well haha. I'm just wondering if this is something I can take to the apple store and have them deal with it??

To be specific with my issue, it appears to be a luminance issue, color is constant throughout most of the screen, maybe less than 5% variation, which is really good.

9. M Powered thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, So I have an appt at the apple store tomorrow.

I took my monitor calibrator to test the luminance of my MBP and as suspected, the bottom right is significantly darker, at the highest brightness setting the center is 340 cd/m2 and the bottom is.... 224-230 cd/m2. Thats HUGE. :eek::mad: Anyone else experience uneven backlighting?