Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
A few weeks ago, this app has mysteriously appeared in my dock. It does not have an icon, just the default app icon. It says "AppleSpell.service"

Upon first starting up, it is not running. If I try and remove it from the dock, it runs (arrow shows up underneath). I also noticed that it possibly has something to do with iChat, if I start using iChat, it will run. The only way to quit it is by force quitting.

I tried deleting this, but the file or anything related is nowhere to be found. :confused:

really confused :confused: and starting to think it's time I did something about it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
COMMAND-CLICK the dock icon to be taken to where it is in the Finder. :)

I don't know how it got there, but I'm guessing it's just OSX's inbuilt spell checker. Nothing like a virus though.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
It's definitely not a virus- There are no viruses that currently affect Mac OS X. Have a look at this old thread about the same issue, which gave two possible solutions:

1. Create a new user account and use it instead of your old one (quite a hassle, avoid this if possible)
2. Copy /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service to the desktop. Delete the original (requires admin password), then move the copy back to /System/Library/Services/ (again requiring an admin password).

I've never had this problem so haven't tried either solution and can't guarantee that they work, but they're worth a try.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
crazydreaming said:
A few weeks ago, this app has mysteriously appeared in my dock. It does not have an icon, just the default app icon. It says "AppleSpell.service"

Upon first starting up, it is not running. If I try and remove it from the dock, it runs (arrow shows up underneath). I also noticed that it possibly has something to do with iChat, if I start using iChat, it will run. The only way to quit it is by force quitting.

I tried deleting this, but the file or anything related is nowhere to be found. :confused:

really confused :confused: and starting to think it's time I did something about it.

Applespell is not a virus, its a program that always runs in the background on your computer. Just like Core Audio, or the login page. All that stuff is stored in wired memory. The fact that yours is showing in the dock is worrysome though. Repair permissions and try what hex suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.