What's best option to free up HD space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seedman76, Mar 29, 2014.

1. seedman76 macrumors member

I have a 2011 13" MBP with a 320GB SATA drive. Recently I've been getting messages stating I'm running out of HD space. I can't install the latest software update due to this problem. I have 3.5GB free out of the 320GB total. I'm no expert but it appears most of my HD space is taken up by the 19,000 photos in iPhoto(171GB) (see snapshot). The movies (80GB) must be videos in my iPhoto library as I don't have any movies on the machine. My plan to free up space is to backup my HD using Time Machine to a external HD (Seagate Free Agent) and then delete a lot of the photos and videos from my iPhoto library. Am I looking at things correctly and does this make the most sense to solve my HD storage option??? Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I would not use time machine to do what you describe. I don't think you quite understand how time machine works.

Think of it as snapshots taken at a given interval. Say you backup right now, it'll make a copy of things as they are right now.

Now, if you go ahead and delete your photos, if you ever want to see them again, you'll have to enter the time machine, remember the date you deleted them, restore them to your hard drive. Only after you've done all these steps will you be able to view them again.

Your quickest and best bet would be to simply copy-paste them into an external hard drive them delete them. You'll get much, much quicker and efficient access to them should you want them.

3. simsaladimbamba

Freeing up space in Mac OS X and OS X

Btw, copying data from one HDD to another HDD and then deleting the data from the source HDD is not backing up.
    Backing up is creating another additional copy without deleting the original after the copy process, thus at least two sets of the same data exist, preferably not within the same room.

4. damuse macrumors newbie

iPhoto backups

My 60-GB iPhoto library already seems excessive and here you have one almost 3x larger :)

As others have said, your stated plan for using Time Machine will actually lose your photos and videos, so don't do it that way.

What I did to back them up was create separate iPhoto libraries archives, by year, which is a rather tedious process of copying main library, opening copy, deleting anything NOT in a given year, manually clean up leftover preview image caches... then repeat for each year.

Then, with copies of all archives safely backed up onto multiple disks including offsite, on the original library I rate the photos. Anything not rated at least 3 stars I delete from the original or "working" library.

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I would consider upgrading your hard drive. You can sell your current hard drive for $25-30 on ebay and buy a 1TB drive for around $60.

Minimal cost for something you need.

6. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

How do you access the "visual" disk info as in the image in post #1 ?

Barney

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Click on  → About This Mac → More Info → Storage

8. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63