Whats best tiny ext hd for base mid 2010 mba

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nychot, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I just got a new 2010 mba 11 with 64 gb. What do you recommend for a very small external hd. 500 gb would do and i can use it with my 2010 mac mini. The western digital passport seems nice. Any thoughts most appreciated.

2. divinemercy macrumors regular

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, that is very nice, but for the same price you can get a 1TB WD passport. Only marginally thicker and twice the space.

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

5. divinemercy macrumors regular

From what I could tell by just looking, the passports were at least twice as thick as the gdrive slims. Im really particular about what makes it in to my bag, and one of the Passports would end up in a drawer in my desk instead.

But you ARE paying a premium for the Gdrive, so per gig its not the best price.... But as macbook air owners aren't we used to paying more for less thanks to slimness??? haha ;)

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

If your main concern is size factor over everything else, I'd recommend looking at Seagate's GoFlex Slim. It's only 320GB, but it's a 7200 RPM drive. It can also use Seagate's attachments so if someone has an '11 Air, when the Thunderbolt attachment is released they can use that.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-GoFlex-Performance-External-STBE320100/dp/B004SGJCCO/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314108618&sr=1-15

I have one for my air, and enjoy it greatly. It's super thin, it's pretty much a drive with a plastic cover around it.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, just about, but small nonetheless.

G-Drive Slim 500GB: 5.063" x 3.23" x 0.39"

WD Passport 1TB SE: 4.3" x 3.2" x 0.70"

Seagate GoFlex Slim 320GB: 4.91" x 3.07" x 0.354"

(The size specs at the Amazon site are wrong. These are from the respective manufacturer's sites).

I unfortunately could not fit all my movies into 500GB. And once I decide to carry anything, it goes into my laptop bag, so .31" is not going to make a lick of difference. 500GBs will. :D

8. misterneums macrumors 6502

I have a 750GB version of that it and it is plenty small enough for me. I've actually lost it twice now :-\

9. divinemercy macrumors regular

Whichever you choose private message me your email and i'll send you a 10% off coupon for best buy. they have sales, and with that coupon it should be a decent price.

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

One other nice thing about the Seagates is that they come with an NTFS driver, if that is important to you. Since I move back and forth between a Windows machine at work and my Macs at home, it is nice to not have the FAT32 limitations.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Format your external USB drive in exFAT format. Works on both Windows and OS X.

13. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

If you frequent older machines, the ExFAT driver for WinXP is an optional install, so I've found it nice to keep a tiny partition with the XP driver file so I can install it if I need to.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oh, good to know. Had not thought of that. Great idea! :apple:

15. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Passport Essentials

It drives some folks nuts but the security partition on the WD unit allows you to keep the drive locked and encrypted until you enter your credentials, after which the main drive is mounted.

The size and security offered by this unit won over some thinner units for me. Allows me to have a local secured copy of all my data, music, pictures, movies etc if I can't access my home server when traveling.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You bring up a good point. With these drives being smaller and smaller, encryption is key. I use a Seagate Blackarmor 320GB for work. It is hardware encrypted, and it is slightly larger than the passport, but protecting that data is key. If you are going to be carrying around personal data (like your Quicken checking file) either on the laptop or the external hard drive, I'd suggest encryption.

If all you plan to do is keeping media (movies, songs, etc.) not so much. Pictures, meh, not sure I'd care but some people might not like a thief to be able to see their pictures. This should be a consideration when making portable storage decisions.