Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
please let me know your opinons. considering making the switch but i am perfectly happy with comcast it's just that verizon is a bit cheaper.. Does verizon have good sport packages and is fios that much faster than cable....

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I can't compare with Comcast, but I have had FiOS in two locations.

For data is is really hard to beat. I had 15 Mbps in my last house and now have 20 Mbps and they really provide what they say. Of course you are at the mercy of the connection on the other end being able to keep up.

I've only had the TV bit for 6 months and the HD programming quality seems higher than DirecTV, even though FiOS is still lacking some of the channels we had in HD on DTV.

Don't watch much sports so can't compare their offerings there either.

B

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
please let me know your opinons. considering making the switch but i am perfectly happy with comcast it's just that verizon is a bit cheaper.. Does verizon have good sport packages and is fios that much faster than cable....

FIOS in a landslide. It's not close. 18 months ago I switched from Comcast to FIOS. I was skeptical of FIOS and wasn't unhappy with Comcast, but the FIOS price was cheaper. So I kept both my FIOS and Comcast for a 1 month head to head.

The FIOS HD channels are much clearer. They made the Comcast HD look like FIOS SD. It was a big difference. Once you see FIOS HD, you realize how much Comcast is compressing your HD channels and how many artifacts they are introducing.

In the 18 months since, I've had 0 .. that's right exactly 0 .. outages. The internet is so much faster is ridiculous. I get exactly what they advertise in speed. And it's constant, not some speedboost garbage that get's throttled after 20 seconds.

The phone is like any other landline I've used. Get it. You won't be disappointed.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
For over-the-air...i.e. network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW) nothing beats an antenna. ALL cable and satellite vendors compress the HD signal so a $30 antenna will get you the crispest and best signal for your 'locals'.

For absolute quality of picture, it pays to have an antenna even if you still want the non-local content too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.