what's better for bootcamp setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by whistler222, Jan 26, 2008.

1. whistler222 macrumors 6502

assume i buy the stock 320 gb drive.. and add a 500gb drive.. standard 7200rpm drive that is.

1) is it possible to boot OSX off the 320gb, and windows vista off the 500gb?

2) is that recommended? OR partition the 320gb drive into 2, put half to boot OSX, and half for Vista.
    and keep the 500gb to data?

Pls kindly advise..

thanks!

2. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I bought a WD Raptor HD just for windows. This will be my first Mac , but i'm sure you can boot right into the 2nd drive. I read it on the Apple site.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes its possibly but after months of trying to get windows to boot on my system it wouldn't work. But this was a windows problem since i had the 2nd drive partitioned. Also it was a XP problem vista boot different.

4. LOZER macrumors member

Yes, it is very easy to do. I just added a 250gb hd, then I went into bootcamp and selected that second drive for windows and it did everything else. Printing instructions when it asks you is a great idea as well. And thats pretty easy I have Vista Home premium and it so far has run great. Not as good as OS X but it works well, just remember when it needs to restart windows while its loading everything HOLD OPTION key down imediately after it restarts until it pops up Mac or Windows if you dont it will boot into Mac and you'll have restart to get to windows.

5. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

NTFS OR FAT needed to format to 250GB windows partition

I just bought a Mac Pro 2.8 GHZ 8 cores with the 8800GT and will partition the hard drive with Windows XP. I plan on allocation 250GB to the Windows partition. Please Help. Is it true that because the partition is over 32GB I must format it using NTFS instead of FAT. I really need to know please help. what have others done? :confused::confused::apple::confused::)

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

NTFS is the best option for large drives. It saves room as the FAT filesystem allocates larger blocks for data on large drives meaning that the smallest possible file goes up in size.

Stick to NTFS.

7. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Thanks for your help. I will stick to NTFS as it now seems to be a good option. :):apple::)

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Another advantage of NTFS is that it fragments less than FAT filesystems.

The only disadvantage is that Mac OS X can not write to NTFS filesystems directly, although it can over a network. But there are applications available which make it possible.

Read access is of course possible.

9. Vinney macrumors newbie

what applications are these. I need to pull data of ntfs drives and copy them onto a my mac ??

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac OS X can read NTFS drives by default so you don't need any applications for that.

11. Vinney macrumors newbie

ok here is my situation i have 3 drives from my old Windows PC, i want to copy data from these drives onto a 1TB drive i have in the mac... i was planning on put one drive at a time into the mac, and copying all the data off it over to the TB drive...

Would i be best :

1. Installing a special application to deal with this in OSX
    or
    2. setup bootcamp .. boot into XP and drag everything off that way. ??

Thanks.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I just said. Mac OS X can do that without any modification. Insert drive and copy the data off it. Job done. That is assuming the hard drives are compatible with the Mac Pro.

The special applications are for writing to an NTFS drive.

13. Vinney macrumors newbie

they are sata drives ... so i should be ok ?

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes.

15. Norco macrumors regular

Yes, any partition over 32GB MUST be formatted as NTFS. It states this clearly in the instructions for boot camp.

16. Banacek macrumors 6502

There is no reason anyone should be using FAT anyway.