What's better from practical perspective

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by whistler222, Jan 23, 2008.

1. whistler222 macrumors 6502

I use it for lightroom / photoshop
    the rest is just office 08, iphoto, iweb, etc.

what's more practical
    2 - dell 2407
    or
    1 - dell 2707
    ?
    i think 2 of the 2407 is about 150 bucks more?

what if it's between 2 24", and 1 30"?

from a photo editing perspective, what's better?

Thanks!

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

They are widescreen right? I'd say two 24's will do the trick... give you more room for tools, etc...

You really could go both ways with this, but thats the arrangement I would choose. I have two 22's and they work great (i do mostly video editing).

3. kdb31 macrumors member

A few thoughts...
    -A single 30 will allow you to view more image at full zoom or see an entire image with more magnification than a 24.
    -While two screens would be nice I think it’s more important to put the emphasis on the image itself rather than the palettes; it’s always nicer to have a larger photo/canvas when working, the amount of space palettes need is trivial in comparison.
    -A single 30 has 4,096,000 pixels vs. 4,608,000 pixels of two 24s so you're not really gaining that much more screen real estate and you’re probably not going to fully utilize the second 24 for palettes anyways.
    -Both photoshop and lightroom menus nicely tuck themselves along the sides of the screen and leave plenty of room for the photo, I dont think you'll feel that you're in need of more space with 1600 pixels of vertical resolution.
    -I don’t know about the quality of the panels, but that aside, a 27 isn’t going to get you any more screen real estate (pixels) against a 24, so assuming colour quality is equal, it’s a matter of dpi and the 27” being easier on the eyes than the 24.
    -You may want to check up on this, but I think the IPS panel is becoming less common in today’s 24s (unless you start looking at the pricey nec/eizo options) so you might end up with better colour on a 30” as well.
    -I’ve used my 30” cinema display in conjunction with my 15” macbook pro screen and a wacom cintiq; I’ve never really felt the need to use the dual screen setup for additional palette space. I’ve also used an older Dell 24” at work (for graphics as well) and I definitely preferred the single large screen to two smaller ones – although in my case it was the 24 + a 19.
    I hope this helps a bit :)