What's Better: Outlook 2010 or Mail ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Junkie2, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Junkie2 macrumors member

I've never used outlook before and i've never really used mail. Now i am looking to make my life easier with my school email by using one of the two. Which is easier/better in your opinion?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think Mail is simpler and more than adequate for basic emailing. Outlook has its pros and may be the choice for Windows users who have always used it but I don't think it's worth the price.

3. Junkie2 thread starter macrumors member

Well i upgraded due to the improvements in both word and excel - which were worth it alone IMO. Now i have Outlook and was going to give it a shot, but being a mac guy for the past 8 years maybe not now...

thanks

4. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Outlook only limited improvement on Entourage

I have never like Apple Mail and until recently used Entourage. This was an OK product apart from its poor stability, database corruption and font crashing issues. In this aspect, Outlook is a much better product and seems pretty rock-solidly stable. However, user friendly it isn't and in this respect the user interface is inferior to Entourage. MS seem to have set out to deliberately complicate it. The layout is inflexible and not good for smaller screens. In a fit of total idiocy, they have missed out the re-send message button and command. Stationery, which we were promised, is missing - very disappointing for those looking to send corporate formatted emails. If you want to show download progress, you have to keep opening a separate window, each time you send/receive (cmd-7). The synching is currently poor with MobileMe. Notes don't sync at all and you would have thought that as it was a Mac product, MS would have ensured that the options for databoxes (home, home-2, work, other, custom etc), matched Address Book and MobileMe but no, they did not bother. When a databox does not match, no data at all is imported into Outlook at sync. I use the contacts in MobileMe as my master data set for all devices/programs and the missing data in Outlook is a real downer. Overall I would award MS a score of 4½ out of 10 (must try harder next term!)

Wilson

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You must define your terms. If you like Microsoft's approach to software development, then you may use Outlook. If your mail system is based on Exchange 2007 or newer, then it may be worth it to you. If your mail system is based on a system other than Exchange 2007 or newer, then my not so humble opinion is that Outlook is a waste of money. That said, Mail can handle Exchange 2007 or newer just about as well as Microsoft's paid application does.