what's better? Wifi/edge OR 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kgeier82, Nov 20, 2008.

1. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

so what's overall better for battery life? Does leaving wifi on with edge use more battery than 3g by itself?

I know the pros/cons.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if there is no wifi around and you leave wifi on, isnt it always searching for a signal? therefore suck down more battery?

ive shut off 3g and only turn it on when i need it and my battery lasts a lot longer.

3. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I have the Wifi/3g, and when I cant get access to a Wifi hotspot, the 3G is lifesaving. It's fast, and works great.

4. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

No. WiFi only searches when it pops up and asks you to connect (e.g. when you attempt to access data). It won't search because it doesn't auto-connect to unknown hotspots. Ex: Checking your email automatically. It will connect to your known WiFi and check and disconnect. The iPhone is very smart about connecting and disconnecting to/from WiFi.

5. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Are you sure about that? Because mine always stays connected to known WiFi networks. So I guess that it is trying to access them from time to time in order to determine the signal strength.

Even Apple suggests turning off WiFi when not in use to preserve battery life. LINK

Attached Files:

6. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Whenever I unlock my phone, it's on EDGE or 3G.. and whenever I try to access the internet, the WiFi symbol pops up. That's how I conclude that. It will go away after a minute and switch back to EDGE/3G.. so that's my conclusion.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

3G is better than EDGE for battery life... Here's why

You can load TWICE the amount of web pages with 3G than EDGE, so you end up using EDGE for LONGER than 3G... therefore you're using the iPhone more, therefore you're draining the battery more. If you use 3G and load 10 pages, you're gonna use less battery than using EDGE and loading 10 pages.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

How much power 3G takes, also depends on how many others are using your cell and how far you are from the tower.

3G is CDMA. That means everyone talks at once. The more users, and the further from the tower, the more that the phone ramps up its output to be heard along with everyone else.

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Could you clarify what you mean by "That means everyone talks at once." Do you mean it's synonymous to a shared cable internet line? (Or a worse analogy: WiFi where your PC selectively ignores requests not directed to itself.. it's still using a slight bit of power to process + ignore them)

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

thats only if you're using it for safari, or maps or something.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nice in theory, but I don't think it's very practical. If you load a page and then read it, you're draining more battery life with the 3G connection that you would with EDGE. Now if you keep loading different pages and Internet-related stuff over and over again, I see where your going.

I think it's best to say that EDGE has better battery life than 3G, but you can get more done in the same timespan with 3G.

12. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

i have to say that 3g is better even though the battery will go down but just bring your charger with you. i just hate the fact that safari keeps on going down on me :mad:

13. nic63impss macrumors newbie

all data services will drain your battery so just purchase a extra battery for your iphone