whats bluetooth for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djsound, Jan 23, 2008.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

Hey there this may be a stupid question but its never stopped me from asking before? what is the point of bluetooth? My gf has a blackberry (shes jealous of my iphone of course) and she asked me to bluetooth her a song or a photo to her phone last night. I said ..I cant do that..iphone ringtones are a different format plus there is no way (that i see) to bluetooth a photo ..... ....what IS the point of it? :)

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

3. rayward macrumors 65816

...and hands free car phone.

4. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

ohhh yaaaa... I forgot about those things. I guess I ruled them out when I decided I didnt want to look like captain kurk...

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It also can pair up to several different GPS units to use the GPS handsfree features. On my Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS, I can take and make calls on my GPS screen without having to dial on my iPhone. The GPS shows my contacts, recently dialed and missed, and has a dial keypad. Calls are routed through the GPS speaker which is pretty loud. Also shows the caller ID on the screen and the ability to ignore or answer calls.

None of the GPS functions can be used via the iPhone.

6. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Mostly wireless headsets, although I totally hate those things.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You mean Uhura.

:p

8. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

On the iPhone, surprisingly, not much.

I'm hooked on Bluetooth. I have a bunch of uses for it, if apple will just update the software profile.

9. officerdick macrumors regular

Bluetooth is a standard wireless protocol for communication and data transfer between diverse mobile devices. But for iPhone its just for a stupid headset.

10. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Its the new replacement for "Grills" Now you can wear Bluetooth and be cool:rolleyes:

djsound...its Captain Kirk....not Kurk

11. officerdick macrumors regular

Another fact about bluetooth is that it was originally developed in Sweden by Ericsson and some partners. It is named after a danish viking king 'Harald Blåtand' which means 'Harald Bluetooth'. He was the first viking king to unite Denmark, Norway, and some of Sweden under the same banner.

12. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Syncing all my contact info between my phone and my Mac...phone numbers, email addresses, sites and calendar info.

I wouldn't mind doing a stereo bluetooth headset.

13. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

For now all that it is good for is headsets and hands free in car calling.

I intend to use the sdk to make use of the Bluetooth to make the iphone into a competitive gaming device. Think the psp's wifi manipulation. I have seen this in practice and it works pretty well (Nokia N-Gage)

Also one could foresee them eventually using it as a means of GPS integration Maybe a TomTom plugin.

Wireless stereo headset.

Maybe it could be used as a way to sync with your mac wirelessly.

On that same note it could be used as a method to tether your phone to your computer as a modem.

Maybe they could even add a Zune like feature, This means allowing iPhone/iPod Touch owners to share songs between units as a means of advertising new music to buy from iTunes.

Perhaps a way to wirelessly interface with the ps3 in some sort of convoluted deal to completely stick it to Microsoft.

Its a wireless transmission medium so really the possibilities are endless.