What's causing my CPU heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike-d, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mike-d macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I have a Macbook Pro 5,1 (Late 2008, 2.53 GHz T9400, 4 GB RAM and 9600 GT)

I was playing a video game in Windows when I noticed that it was not running smooth. So I overclocked the MBP to as much as 2.9 GHz. I tested the overclock settings several times in Windows, but it was useless so I underclocked it back to default frequency.

Now I've installed Snow Leopard, gotten a Wi-Fi-n router (AirPort Extreme).
    The CPU gets as hot as 70 degrees C when browsing the internet and chatting in MSN messenger for Mac in Mac OS X. Did the overclocking and then underclocking cause this, or is it the Wi-Fi, or is it Snow Leopard, or is it a process that's causing the CPU to overheat? Please reply :eek:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your overclocking didn't do anything to your CPU causing it to overheat.

From the sounds of the post, I'd go out on a limb and say that your fans may not be ramping up. That is as the temperature increases your fans stay at 2000.

Download the istat pro widget which will report the temperature and fan speed of your system. Typically resetting the SMC will correct this but not always.

You can also download and run smcFanControl to manually adjust the fan speed. That's what many of us do with no problems or headaches. I prefer to manually manage the temperature of my MBP and this handy little app works wonderfully

4. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

I have both of these apps. And yes, the fan stays at 2000 even if the temperature increases, but I don't want any noises. I already manage my fanspeed manually using smcFanControl and unless I put it on 6000 RPM, it has little to no effect.

Besides, when I first bought the laptop in July, the temperature was always around 40 and 38 C. Can it be that the N-Wifi has caused this? I mean, it does drain my battery faster than G-Wifi...

5. mediaprodguy macrumors member

Okay, so is apple liable for my laptop burining my lap? Geesh this puppy is hot

In F
    HD: 106
    CPU:166
    Ambient 81
    Enclosure Base 104
    GPU 140
    GPU Heatsink 149
    Heatsink A 112
    Heatsink B 113

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

You probably have a process somewhere that is eating up cpu. Go into activity monitor, look at all processes and sort by cpu.