What's causing this lag?? It's killing me. 2012 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr512, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Mr512 macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2012 MBP and am experiencing some horrible lag. It's a 2012 MBP non retina. 2.5ghz i5 8gigs ram. When I bought the machine it was stock, but I've since put in a Crucial M500 SSD with caddy in the SuperDrives spot and also swapped out the factory HDD with my WD from my 09 MacBook Pro. I used it for a day or so and kept getting the spinning wheel when doing simple task. Opening iTunes, quitting safari, or trying to open links in new tabs. It was irritating enough so I went ahead and reinstalled Yosemite hoping to fix the issue. After I loaded my TM backup i noticed the same lag problem. Just today I replaced the factory 4gigs ram with a Crucial 8gb kit, same lag. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

If it were me, I would put the SSD in the normal hard drive spot, back up the data, format the drive, and start over. That is what I did with my referb 2012 13" MBP. Runs like a champ. 256 SSD Samsung 850 Evo and 16G ram. Good luck

3. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of trying that next, thanks for the advice.

4. CaptainWD macrumors newbie

CaptainWD

Hey there Mr512,

I would check if any of the parts hit 100% usage. I would also check the health of both drives with tools provided by the manufacturer and see if both of them function properly. For the WD drive that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=A8UdjJ . You would need a Windows PC in order to run the utility.

Captain_WD.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Should have just used it with the fresh install (no TM restore) for a few days first to rule out a possible problematic kext or something else, before restoring your TM backup.

6. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm doing that now. Last night I reloaded Yosemite again. Going to play with a fresh install for a few days.

7. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Captain. If this clean install gives me same issues I'll look into what you suggested.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It copuld well be any number of things. A dying hard drive, legacy print drivers, out of date or corrupt software.

If it's fine without a time machine restore, you are going to have to carefully move things back on one at a time until you identify the culprit so you can fix the issue.

9. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is still lag after a clean install. Now when I try to load a page in Safari it hangs then minimizes itself.

10. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Short answer: It depends.

Long answer: Depends on who at Apple helps you with it. It's not unreasonable for them to charge you for the replacement though, since the mods you did to it involved removing that cable multiple times, which could have caused damage to the cable during any one of those times. Tough to prove that you caused the damage, though, (even though it's likely that you did) if the system is put back to stock config prior to taking it in. At that point it would be your word against theirs. Then again, if there is visible damage to the cable that they can see under inspection, no amount of creative story telling is likely to change the mind of a determined employee, but they might in that case give you a "one time" freebie, but again ... it depends.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Your exact version may vary - ifixit might have a video up for your MBP model. For $40 and a half hour trying, it seems worth a shot. Not too much harder to do if you've already changed a battery/HD out.

13. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I actually found the cable on Amazon for $25. Gonna try and replace myself. Thanks.

14. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Clean install OS X Mavericks.

15. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

Then upgrade to Yosemite? I have a wd black 2 I'm going to try and clean install Yosemite. If it still acts up I'll try Mavericks.

16. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Stay there until OS X El Capitan release.Its Yosemite sloppy horrible optimization bugs.I have the same problems plus wifi drops and bluetooth mouse discovery problems.

17. meson macrumors regular

My machine has been much happier on the more recent El Capitan Beta versions than it ever was with Yosemite. Either give the beta a go, or hold tight with Mavericks until El Capitan is released. The wifi drops are finally gone for me, and things have been running quite stable lately.

18. Mr512 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I put the SSD in the normal drive spot, formatted and loaded Yosemite. Everything is running smooth now. It's been two days and haven't seen one spinning wheel. Thanks for the suggestion.