What's causing warm iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thelookingglass, Mar 17, 2012.

1. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

So some have iPads that appear to be getting warm after some use, while others don't have the issue at all. Thought I'd start a post to see what the cause is. Please indicate whether or not your iPad gets warm, to what level you've set your brightness, whether or not you were using 4G when your iPad became warm and what apps you were using.

2. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

My iPad 1 WiFi runs at 87F. My new iPad with AT&T 4G (not LTE) active is running around 94F to 95F. Both iPads doing the same video streaming activity. Measured with a laser type thermometer. Brightness the same on both at around 70%.

Cell phones, especially smart ones, can get really hot, so I'm assuming most of the increased heat is coming from that part.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Besides the dual-core 1GHz CPU, quad-core GPU, 1GB RAM, and LTE cellular radios? Dunno, perhaps it will always remain a mystery ;)

4. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

16GB WiFi only, black. It got warm with basic web browsing, no video streaming... It makes me a bit nervous having it locked up in a Griffin Survivor case.

5. batotman macrumors 6502

Guess none of you have ever owned an iPod touch. They get pretty toasty. At least the 4th gen one does.

6. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on what you're doing with it. If passively surfing or reading web pages, then it'll be cool. if streaming HiRes movies, then warm - the processor is working much harder.

7. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

If anything those should cool down the iPad right? iPad 2013 water cooled edition!

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

I think it's mostly the backlight. Mine got warm when I had the brightness at 100% at work, but since I've taken it home and turned the brightness down to my usual 50%, it's been just as cool as my iPad 2, and I've been using it for hours on end.

9. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting. That would certainly make sense since the new iPad reportedly has twice as many LEDs. Anyone else with brightness at 50% or lower experiencing warm iPads?

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

I dont understand why people care?

For starters, people generally have that part of the iPad resting on something anyway. And do you really think a company such as Apple would release a few million iPads knowing that they'd all go kaput due to overheating?

11. pat park macrumors 6502a

Mine gets quite warm after using LTE just browsing and basic email stuff.
    It's not unbearable, but certainly noticeable.

12. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm glad you're able to speak for "people" generally, but some "people" don't rest that part of the iPad on something aside from themselves. Besides being slightly uncomfortable, the warmth could be a sign of some sort of defect, particularly if not everyone is experiencing the same issue.

You sure put a lot of trust in Apple. Remember Antennagate?

13. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Even with my iPad 2, if brightness was cranked up, my unit became warmer. With my new iPad, as soon as I turned the brightness down, the device cooled immediately. It's better for battery consumption anyway, not to have the level set too high.

14. mitch.dunc macrumors newbie

I have a 16gb black wifi only version. It does get warm after doing something like playing a (non retina) game. It isn't too hot to touch but it is noticeable. It if mostly annoying because when holding the iPad with two hands, one hand gets warm and the other doesn't.

15. marcello696 macrumors regular

I noticed my iPad was very warm but once my iCloud restore finished (took about 6 hours for everything), the iPad cooled down to what I've been used to with the iPad 2.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple put a larger battery in the iPad 3 for a reason, it uses more power. Some of this power use is also going to be in the form of heat. Processors, backlighting, etc are all using more power than the previous iPads.

17. Badbermac macrumors newbie

+1 on the backlite.
    It gets warm on 100% brightness