Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applelogo.png
Thanks to the iPhone 6, the iPad Air 2, the iPad mini 3, OS X Yosemite, and iOS 8, 2014 was a major year for Apple. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus brought new screen sizes and a radical redesign, while iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite introduced deep integration between Apple's mobile and desktop operating systems.

The past year has seen an impressive display of innovation and new ideas, but upcoming product releases and rumors suggest that 2015 may be an even more monumental year for Apple.

Along with the Apple Watch, which Apple has said will launch in early 2015, we will likely see major updates across the Mac lineup due to the availability of Intel's next-generation Broadwell chips. An Apple TV update has long been in the works and could see a 2015 debut, and as it has done every year, Apple will undoubtedly update its iPad and iPhone lineup, along with releasing new versions of iOS and OS X.

As we did last year, we've highlighted Apple's prospective 2015 product plans, outlining what we might see from Apple over the course of the next 12 months based on current rumors.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What's Coming From Apple in 2015: Apple Watch, iPad Pro, iPhone 6s, 12-Inch MacBook and More

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I have a feeling the iPad Pro is going to be a laughable flop. I get the "bigger is better" motto, I love my 6 Plus, but a 12" tablet is so big I rather just bring a MacBook Air. The beauty of the iPad Air is how easily portable it is and easy to carry and hold. But slugging around a 12" tablet? LOL

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Sounds like a good time to seriously consider going Hackintosh desktop when Skylake releases and keep my 2012 quad Mac Mini around.

The Mac Mini future looks bleak at best.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well it's been a fun 2014, happy new year to everyone and I wish you all an awesome evening celebrating .... And happy hangovers to the ones that have already passed it!!

Have a great one!

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I have been pretty excited about the watch for the last couple of years - probably over-hyping it in my own imagination. After the unveiling, I wasn't as excited as I had been in some ways (hoping for GPS); however, I was still (unsurprisingly?) surprised by the form it has taken/ will take.

Bottom line, I'm so glad it's finally coming to fruition!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Only thing I'm interested in is the new iPhone Plus and possibly a new Retina iMac. I've yet to see one anywhere to know if the Retina jump is big enough to push me from my late 2013 27" model. (I don't live within 2 hours of an Apple store and Best Buy has no Retina iMacs on display)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
What if the iPad pro and the new 12inch Macbook are the same thing?

I'm more concerned by the prospect of future iTunes gift cards and the next TV becoming the same things:

XSjZU9L.png

Last edited:

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I don't mind if they hold on 10.11 and iOS 9. I kind of wish they would go back to their old schedule and update to .7 to .9 so it's really bug free...

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Really hoping for a new Apple TV. Other than that, I'm not holding my breath for anything. I've been a little disappointed with Apple's progress lately. iOS needs a serious overall for the iPad to make it more than a blown up phone interface, they are getting left behind in the set-top box race, and what's happening with software? iCloud has been left stagnant (Pages, etc. are still in beta mode online) and we get a measly 5 GB of storage to back up all iOS devices, email, cloud storage, and pictures.

I still really like my iPhone and OS X, but it just seems like Apple's not really pushing hard in any area. Even offering 20 GB of cloud storage to at least outdo Google Drive would be awesome. And release iWork and Safari for Windows! I don't understand how Apple expects to compete when even Microsoft is releasing software that runs on everything.

The whole Continuity thing and Handoff thing? Really neat though.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
better start saving, some nice stuff.

Ill probably hold off on the watch. definitely upgrade my phone, and keep an eye open on a macbook lighter for travel. An ipad pro looks cool, but probably too big.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have a feeling the iPad Pro is going to be a laughable flop. I get the "bigger is better" motto, I love my 6 Plus, but a 12" tablet is so big I rather just bring a MacBook Air. The beauty of the iPad Air is how easily portable it is and easy to carry and hold. But slugging around a 12" tablet? LOL

A 12" tablet with multitasking and a stylus will find a spot in the market.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
A utopia where software and technology doesn't have bugs will never exist, so stop dreaming of one.

Except that Yosemite and iOS 8 had some pretty hefty flaws/bugs which has been the trend for the last couple of years. Simple things like switching between desktops shouldn't be jerky on a new 2013 machine.. or WiFi issues or bricking iPhones with an update that is immediately pulled etc.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Apple: We MUST make thinner. :rolleyes:
Us: No, you MUST increase battery life!

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Pause development on iOS and Mac OS -- Fix bugs instead

I seriously hope Apple slows down on the yearly IOS and Mac OS upgrades, and instead focuses on all the bugginess and complexity of current software.

The company is seriously jeopardizing the "It Just Works" quality of (former) Apple products, and once that public trust is lost, it takes a lot to get back.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Was this reporter being sarcastic?

The only thing of any relevance Apple released this year was the iPhone 6 and maaaaybe Yosemite if you want to be very generous.

2014 was a very, very, very poor year from an innovation standpoint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.