What's crashing OS X? (longish)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apfhex, May 22, 2007.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Has anyone seen a problem like mine before?

I'm not getting kernal panics, and no applications are actually crashing, but it's a weird behavior that always ends in a forced shutdown. Due to (totally unrelated, I assure you) circumstances I have a very fresh format and install of Tiger and everything is up to date.

I had iTunes, Safari, Mail, Adium, LaunchBar, iMote, and iScrobbler open. Those first 5 are things that I always have open all the time and have been using them for years and years with no problems. I've only started using iMote and iScrobbler more recently (9 months?) and since they're both MenuExtra hacks, I suspect one of them might be at fault.

I was browsing the MR forums ;) when my internet went out (again totally unrelated issue I've been having with Comcast for a few months). Well, I wanted to disconnect Adium so that i could tell it to reconnect when the internet came back. But it wasn't responding. Force Quit didn't work. Next thing I know I can't quit Mail, and I can't open any new applications like Activity Monitor or Terminal. iMote and iScrobbler have stopped responding as well (and the iScrobbler menu is open with a spinning beachball after I tried to quit it). iTunes, LaunchBar, and the Finder still work flawlessly. Safari successfully quit.

I try to restart, but it just goes to a blank desktop and sits there, presumably because one of the frozen processes can't quit (shouldn't OS X be good enough to kill it after a period of time?). I know this as the screen is blank except for that darn iScrobbler menu floating all by itself. So my only option is to force shutdown.

I've had exactly the same thing happen a few times now (mostly before my recent format — and no that's not why I formatted) and I can't say for sure if it's always been after a loss of internet and with iScrobbler open. I'm going to run without iScrobbler for a while at least. It should be noted that I have had the same conditions appear also with no problems whatsoever.

It seems to me that something caused an important system process to lockup or crash, though I don't know what one that might be.

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

If these MenuExtras are part of the APE by Unsanity, I will quietly ask why you use that abomination, and that you shouldn't use it.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds like your Dock process is getting hung by the Menu Extras. The menu bar stuff is run under the Dock process so if any of them are badly written it can hang out the Dock and basically screw your Mac.

This is the basic underlying reason that Apple don't allow third parties access to this. If the developers use hacks instead of the official mechanism to get there (and the official mechanism does have issues as the menu items don't end up in the normal Apple section) then you are asking for these sort of issues.

4. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't have APE installed. iMote uses MenuCracker.

THAT sounds like it could be it. Would it affect overall app launching though? I think I tried to open the Terminal or something through the Finder, but it didn't work (bounces for a while, then "opens" but nothing would actually happen).

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No idea. Lots of stuff stops working properly if the Dock is not responding. Apps have to register with the Dock when they launch to stop the bouncing of a launching app. If the Dock never responds I'm not sure the App would ever finish launching to a useable state.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Get rid of it.

7. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Well, it doesn't actually appear to be related (at least directly) to the menuextra hacks... had it happen again... I'm wondering if it might be an issue with having Internet Sharing on, sharing over Airport and Ethernet port 2.

UPDATE: Strike that. I stopped using iMote and haven't had a crash since. (even though I'm using two other 3rd party menubar apps now, CoverSutra and SoundSource)