Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
So, I was having some issues the other day and the Genius bar suggested I make a new user account and manually restore my files, rather than using Migration Assistant... so I deleted the user and plugged in my external HD to restore the files in the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. folders.

However, I also noticed that there's about 8GB more available now than before... so what is the 8GB that I didn't restore?

(My issue was that upon entering fullscreen video in Youtube, etc... about 10% of the time it would cause my rMBP to spontaneously restart)

Edit: I might have found it on my own actually... perhaps my iPhone backup? No longer listed under iTunes in the Devices under preferences...

Last edited:

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
So, I was having some issues the other day and the Genius bar suggested I make a new user account and manually restore my files, rather than using Migration Assistant... so I deleted the user and plugged in my external HD to restore the files in the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. folders.

However, I also noticed that there's about 8GB more available now than before... so what is the 8GB that I didn't restore?

(My issue was that upon entering fullscreen video in Youtube, etc... about 10% of the time it would cause my rMBP to spontaneously restart)

Edit: I might have found it on my own actually... perhaps my iPhone backup? No longer listed under iTunes in the Devices under preferences...

Most likely the Library folder, which (as you suggested) includes iOS backups from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.