What's Eating My Battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BoulderBum, Oct 23, 2008.

1. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

Previously, I tweaked my iPhone so that the battery life setting were pretty solid:

All email fetched on a 30-minute schedule.
    Always Use WiFi when available.
    etc.

For awhile, my iPhone would go about two days without needing a recharge, but lately it doesn't even last a day (and usage hasn't been any more intense really).

The battery life issue is roughly coorelated with the point in time I integrated by Exchange email, but I set that to use fetch, too.

Anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

-Colin

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3G on?
    Locations on?
    Brightness.

Having push on and wifi on should be no problem what so ever.

GPS uses the most battery, followed by 3G. Turning down your brightness to below 40% helps a great bit too.

If you still think it's some setting, then do a restore. Other than that, it really is your imagination. ;)

3. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Really? I know my GPS uses a lot while I'm actually running an app that uses it, but any other time it seems 3G is the biggest power-suck on my iPhone, even with LS enabled.

4. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I seem to recall reading an article recently suggesting that, due to some glitch, some iphones lose major battery life when exchange is set to fetch on a regular interval. Have you tried setting fetch to "manual" or even activating push? On my phone, push causes a noticeable decline in battery life, which is normal. But you might get better life if yours is one of those phones with the aforementioned glitch.

5. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all!

Interesting...

Out of curiosity, do you have the source or recall where you heard reading it?

6. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Oops -- it's actually a post on an internet forum, and it pertains to all imap connections, not just exchange:

http://www.wirelessforums.org/231122-post1.html

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816

... perhaps its some kind of munchkin?

na probably not, just pay attention to what you're doing, if you've used GPS, I'd hard exit the maps app, so it disables the GPS chip until you want to use it again. Just stuff like that.

8. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. According to that source, "Fetch" every 15 minutes is even worse than push. I didn't suspect that.

I wonder if that was my problem. I fiddled with settings and something helped because the battery looks pretty good now.

Also, I know this is going to sound dumb, but theory B is that my computer goes into hibernation and doesn't charge all the way. Still not sure which factor is at play.

9. steveapp macrumors member

I get occasional days when battery goes very fast - i wonder if an app can hang in the background and eat battery.... I havent found any consitency though - but its only once every few weeks so hard to tie down..

I did read somewhere though that the latest exchange servers are far better than earlier ones - we are on an earlier one and its supposed to be far worse for battery life - something about the way it communicates with the phone keeping the connection open more often and hence more battery life.

For reference I can leave on 3g and Wifi and last a full day with 5 or so hours usage for browsing etc, and add a couple of hours if i turn one off - that said most of the time im using wifi not 3g as we dont have 3g coverage everywhere I am hence it drops back down to gprs / edge but im not sure if thats saving battery.