What's eating my hard drive space?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ode2joy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ode2joy, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

ode2joy macrumors member

I have a macbook pro, 160GB drive, running OSX10.6.8. I supposedly have only 1.5 GB of disc space free, but am lost on what's on it! I have about 45GB of music on iTunes, and about 30GB of pictures, and am a novice home user, no large programs installed or used. How do i find out what's eating all of my space? I tried to launch disc utility and verify/repair disc, but it stops and tells me i need to run my recovery disc, and when i do that, it says i don't have room to run it.

How do i clean this up without deleting my pics and music?

I do have a 2TB time capsule, running fine, but i don't understand it completely.

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:

How to post an image.

3. ode2joy thread starter macrumors member

What's eating my hard drive space?

I have a macbook pro, 160GB drive, running OSX10.6.8. I supposedly have only 1.5 GB of disc space free, but am lost on what's on it! I have about 45GB of music on iTunes, and about 30GB of pictures, and am a novice home user, no large programs installed or used. How do i find out what's eating all of my space? I tried to launch disc utility and verify/repair disc, but it stops and tells me i need to run my recovery disc, and when i do that, it says i don't have room to run it.
    Screen shot 2012-02-23 at 2-23-121140AM.png
    How do i clean this up without deleting my pics and music?

I do have a 2TB time capsule, running fine, but i don't understand it completely.

thanks

4. ode2joy thread starter macrumors member

ok, i tried again with screenshot of what i'm getting. Disregard this post, it won't delete. Sorry and thanks

5. simsaladimbamba

You can just use the [​IMG] button to add a screenshot or make a new post, no need for a second thread.

[​IMG]

6. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Try searching your mac for "." and File Size + is greater than + 50 + MB. See if anything comes up there. Also, you can Quick Look some folders on your HD, to locate where the space is being taken up.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to start a new thread. You can edit your first post in this thread to add a pic. Click Edit, then "Go Advanced" to access the paperclip icon to add a pic. If you want a post deleted, click the report post button [​IMG] to the left of that post and ask a moderator to delete the post.

Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

8. wayoutnorth macrumors member

wayoutnorth

Try "DaisyDisk".
    Available at the mac app store, and its awesome! :)

9. ode2joy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, thought about Daisydisk but just downloaded Disk Inventory X instead, at least first anyway. Any idea on repairing problem?

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

11. ode2joy thread starter macrumors member

Ah, thanks GG. I was trying to delete and repost because i couldn't figure out find the attatchment paper clip in 'edit'. You've taught me two or three things here. I'll attempt to muck things up no more.

Oh, and i'm not running Lion so i don't have the option to see what's in the 'other' category.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's OK. Just skip that part and go to the rest of the suggestions.