What's eating my storage space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marzfreerider, May 12, 2015.

1. marzfreerider macrumors member

Running the latest Yosemite 10.10.3. If I go to About this Mac and check the storage my Apps keep getting bigger. I haven't downloaded any new apps but the storage keeps going up. On Sunday May 10 it went from 38.31 GB then to 42.99 GB later that day. Now today Tuesday May 12 it says 46.75 GB. Any ideas of why this is? Thanks.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Probably just a quirk of the Storage tab in About This Mac, which can be a bit unpredictable.

Check Disk Utility to see if your available space also varies unexpectedly there. If not, there's nothing to worry about.

3. ksaipas macrumors newbie

Are you using time machine? Probably the mobile time machine folder is using space when your time machine had is not connected. The space should be automatically become available when you backup and when needed.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- And it should also be reported as backups, not as apps, so I doubt that's the issue.

5. marzfreerider thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the disk utility when I can later tonight. I don't have time machine at all.

6. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Try reindexing Spotlight. I helped a poster in another thread, that poster had About This Mac showing 140 TB (yes, TERABYTES) of backups on the internal drive. That's obviously not accurate, turned out the index was corrupt.

Go into Spotlight preferences, add your drive to the privacy tab then reboot. Remove the drive from the Privacy tab and it'll re-index. See if that helps. I can't take credit for the fix, just regurgitating what I've read elsewhere on this forum.

7. Mais78 macrumors 6502

Disable local backups?