What's Eating Up all my Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChrisN, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi, well both of my computers (see sig) have approx 5 gigs of space and I have no clue what takes it up. I have all of my music on my external and I might have 5 gigs of video on my iMac but nothing else. On my laptop I don't have any media but I do have all of the Adobe apps and Aperture.

I have used Disk Inventory X and it doesn't really help.

ChrisN

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you have CS3 Master Collection installed, that is what is using your disk space.

Otherwise, I think you can see your hard drive better than we can. What do you mean Disk Inventory "doesn't help"?

3. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I mean I'm too stupid to understand it:p Also, I only have CS2, I'll post some screenshots of some of my apps and of disk inventory x.

ChrisN

nevermind I think I have CS3

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I Googled up some screenshots, and I can really see how that could be confusing. I don't think I could use it. I suggest just doing it the old-fashioned way.

Press command+option+I in Finder. The resulting window will show you the size of whatever you have selected, including directories (although these may take a while to determine). Start at the root of your drive and start digging until you find the biggest stuff. Just don't delete anything you didn't put there yourself. If you have any questions about files, come to see us first.

Uh, that's even worse.

5. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Also, I have used Disk Inventory X but it really does not explain anything which is what I meant before.

ChrisN

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

7. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

There was very little in there and I still have 8 gigs left out of 64.

ChrisN