What's exactly is in my Library Folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Nov 8, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

It's taking up 28.29 Gigs on my computer... what is in there and can I get rid of any of it?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I think the Garageband stuff is in the Library folder. If you don't use GB then you can remove that.

3. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see any GB files there

for clarification I'm talking about the library folder that's right off my home directory.

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I'm fairly sure that's where your prefernces, install files, histories, and settings are saved. But i know for sure its a bad odea to delete it.

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

There is very little you can get rid of from the library folder, just leave it, and life will stay sweet, delete it............. and the crying will start :p

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Which library is 28gb? Is it the one located in your home folder? In any case, download WhatSize, it will let you track down where all that space is going to.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Don't just delete it!

Take a look inside that directory to find out what makes it so big.
    Stuff like your preferences, Mail data, Address Book database etc. are all found in your (so inside your home folder/) Library.
    Sometimes apps store huge files (like older Parallels Windows HD-images) in there, so be careful what you delete.

Just browse inside this directory (especially the Application Support/ dir.) and try to figure out what files belong to which apps.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

28.9 is far to big for either library. Not considering the home folder one. My best guess would be a bloating log file. So go into that library folder and select the logs folder then right click get info(cmd-i)

The other thing might be your mail. So do the command i on the mail folder as well.

And for those of you who said it doesn't contain a whole lot....Yes it will recreate itself if you can find a way to delete it. But you will be mail less and your user will look like a new system....

9. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

As stated by others, the Library contains settings, data and stuff. Just use du or WhatSize to see what's taking all that space.

If you run Parallels Desktop, the virtual machines are probably stored in your library, consuming lots of space. Mail can add up to several gigabytes too, sneaky little files those mails.

10. PaThKu macrumors member

Mine is .... 2.65GB. Something is in there that shouldn't be :-/. Possibly your library has been copied w/in itself or you saved stuff in there?

11. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

This is really weird... whatsize is telling me that my library is 619 MB... but if I get info on the folder I get 28.92 gigs.

http://www.evanoliver.com/trevor/pic.png

Furthermore, whatsize tells me that I have 41.6 Gb used on my HD, however, iStat is telling me 87.4 Gb used.... gahhhh!!! Very frustrating.

12. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

That must be your user Library folder: /Users/your username/Library/
    You want: /Library/

Edit: Wow. The new "Alex" voice in Leopard takes up 669 MBs!

13. tvwillie macrumors newbie

Reducing "Log" in Library

My wife's library "Log" is showing 6gb versus 600mgbs on my computer using WhatSize. Can the size of "Log" be reduced in Library?

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

How big is Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Webpage Previews? That is where Safari 4's Top Sites stored two image files for every web page you visit. I'm not sure about this, but I don't think it's "self-cleaning". What goes in Previews, stays in Previews.

15. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I thought the self cleaning thing was a bug in the betas.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't think it was fixed. I read something about it in a recent MacWorld issue. When I looked at it, I had over 500MB in there!