What's first? Getting my first iPhone this weekend!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bzollinger, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Sometime this weekend I'll be getting a black 3g 8GB iPhone, and I'm super excited!!:D:D

What are the most important things you guys can suggest that I do to get the most out of this device?

Battery managment (following a charging guide for new iPhone)?
    Some kind of insurance (squaretrade or statefarm)?
    Some kind of invis-a-shield or body guardz?
    What apps are a must?
    Should I load apps sparingly or go for it?
    Etc....

Any suggestions that you have or things that you would have done differently would be great!

BZ

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

For me ... I let it all come organically. I did things little by little as the need arose -- and I love this thing!

I think when you "go for broke" and try to "max out" every feature, you're kinda setting yourself up for disappointment.

I say ... just sit back and let it all sink in! Enjoy the phone, and let the thing keep surprising you ;)

EDIT - in terms of battery life and all that stuff; don't bend over backwards. Go by Apple.com, follow their tips and use the phone the way you want to. If you find it's not performing up to snuff, then take it back to the store. Have fun with it!

3. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Well, charge the battery only when it needs to be charged.

Insurance? It's a phone, not a car. :p

I'm currently using an iSkin revo2, which I love. It's great protection for the phone.

Which apps are a must? It's up to you! Browse the App Store! Here are a few ones that I absolutely love: 2 Across, Ambiance, Mobile News, NYTimes, and WeatherBug. As for when to load the apps, do it as soon as you find one you like! You can always take it off if you don't like it!

Have fun with the phone, enjoy it, and don't baby it. ;)

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Who are you getting service through in AK?

5. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

AT&T is back. Cellular One bought them out of AK years ago, but AT&T bought them back.

So now it's on!:cool:

We don't have squat for 3G coverage, but from the last month of posts and news articles it doesn't sound like I'm missing much. I'd still like the option, but can't do anything about it.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Congrats on your new toy. Please note my signature. :D

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I used to live in Juneau, thought only Nextel(?) was up there, good to hear. sorry about the lack of 3G

8. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Thank you! How many new threads were posted because of that question? ;)

9. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

According to FedEx, it's been delivered!! Now I wonder how long AT&T will wait to call??

10. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

How does the iSkin revo2 work when you put the iPhone in your pocket? It seems like it'd get stuck and be hard to either reposition or pull out of your pocket be it your pants or jacket.

I still can't decide on full coverage like the iSkin, scratch protection like the bodyguardz, or just go naked!

11. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

It can get stuck sometimes, but I usually have no problem with it. What I like best about the case is the plastic screen protector. I'm used to putting it either my pocket or my small-items pocket of my book bag. Unforunately, I also tend to have loose change, keys, pens, etc in my pocket and bag. I didn't want the loose items to scratch or hurt the phone in any way (either the back of the phone or the screen). Thus, I bought the iSkin.

If you're not going to be putting it in a bag or in a pocket full of stuff, I wouldn't see the real need for the iSkin. I do recommend the case if you'll be hiking with it while you take pictures. Other types of skins or going naked wouldn't provide the same type of shock-absorbing feature that the iSkin provides.

If you choose to go naked, I recommend anti-glare screen protectors. They are a must have if you don't have a case.

12. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you've got the right case for your purposes. I think I'm gonna go for the SwitchEasy CapsuleReble case.
    http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Rebel/Rebel.html
    It looks like a good compromise between hard and grippy. It also comes w/ two screen protectors.

13. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

14. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Nice case. I like the color options.

15. bug67 macrumors regular

bug67

Congrats on the new iPhone. I got mine delivered to the Eagle River store on Wednesday.:D

The reason I got it was for the 3G. I was completely unaware we didn't have 3G coverage up here. No one at AT&T ever mentioned it. In fact, while I was standing in line chatting with another customer, I made mention of how slow Edge was for browsing. The sales person overheard me and said, "you won't have that problem anymore!":rolleyes:

Feb or Mar '09:cool:

16. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Interesting...........

I've heard talk about AK and 3G but nothing worth mentioning. 3G is slow for browsing (I've got a Q for work).

I guess I'm banking on WI-FI at least at work, home, airports, and anywhere else I can get connectivity. If we get 3G by next spring maybe all the quirks will be worked out by then too. I can wait 6 months, it'll be like getting a new iPhone again (well kinda)!

17. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Don't wait! Call them! That's what I did. Today! lol...I just got another iPhone 3G, this time the gorgeous white 16GB one. Upgraded the firmware to 2.0.1, and am good to go. I'm wondering some of the things you mentioned as well! :)

But anyway, be proactive. I also asked for the tracking #, so I knew that today was the day to pick it up, so I did! :D

Nice and helpful people, the iPhone (all of Apple? heh) people here...great forum! :apple: ;)

18. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

This is how I feel, but I'm leaving town for a couple of days in less than an hour. I'd like to have some time to sit down and get familiar w/ it rather than delay my trip and piss of my wife.

So it looks like either late sunday or monday for sure!!