Whats going on at Palm! do they think we still use OS9?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by teckwiz, May 15, 2008.

1. teckwiz macrumors newbie

I have recently acquired a Palm pilot(vx) I know its outdated but it does what I need. I have connected it fine to my friends pc but i no longer have access to it and need to use my own MB running Leopard. I have a cradle with a sireal connector and a serial to usb convertor. so i type Palm Vx in google and i get the palm support site and i download the mac version i fill out my os Mac os x and continue ten i download the .sit file and i cant open it! does anyone know how to sync and add new apps to my Palm Vx from my mac
    Thx

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

You need Stuffit Expander to open .sit files. You can download it here if you don't already have it.

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Your problem is that you can't open the .sit file?

If so, download StuffIt expander (there is a free version that does the expansion but not the compression. for some reason the stuffit company make it hard to find the free, expand-only version).

Here's a link:

http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffitexpander/updates.html

Nobody uses stuffit anymore, but that software was created when .sit files were a defacto standard on the Mac platform. I'm not sure you can really blame Palm for not repackaging installers for ancient versions of their software. (They don't use stuffit anymore, right?!!!?)

Edit: Oops, beaten to it!

4. teckwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

what next

o i have syuffit and have unzipped it and everything works nicely except i cant sync it i amm presing the button on my cradle and it is looking for something to connect to but nothing works his may be the serial to usbif so is there a way of using my infa red?
    thx

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not seeing how that relates to you not being able to open a .sit file.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

What would you use the infra-red to? Does your mac have some sensor?

7. teckwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

I would use the infa red sync option on my palm Vx. plus the comment up from that its i have opend the SIT but now i cant sync it:(

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude, what? I was talking about the lack of infra red sensors on your mac.

have you installed the isync conduit?

9. teckwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i have tryed my isync that dosent work and i have the infa red for front row and the apple remote.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes, but have you installed the isync conduit for palm? Do we even know if palm software works for Leopard?

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The infra red sensor is not for data transfer. It is only for the Apple Remote.

12. teckwiz thread starter macrumors newbie

ok infa red cant be used thx.
    i have just found instructions for palm serial to usb (http://www.palm.com/us/support/accessories/usb/mac_USB.html) (not sure if i have it but mine looks similar.) i have followed a far as Step 9 and am stuck on step 10- i cant find that buttondoes anyone know where to locate it

13. afd macrumors 6502a

try the missing sync from markspace. I used it with a tx with no problems. You will need a driver for your USB to serial adapter though.
    You could try one of those irda to USB adapters.