What's going on... SMC and battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeeflyboy, Nov 30, 2012.

1. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

Hi guys, hopefully one of you cn help me out here because it's driving me nuts.

I have a 2009 macbook pro (early, with removable battery) and the battery is completely shot... so I ordered a new one.

Now, just before I could install said battery, I left my laptop on for a few minutes without the magsafe connected by mistake and the thing had died when I came back.

The problem is that when this happens it just dies because of the battery, it doesn't properly shut itself down.

When I went to turn it back on, it wouldn't respond... it's happened before when the computer has done an uncontrolled shut down so I just did an SMC reset. Now I have a really weird problem.

It wouldn't boot up with the either the old or new battery inserted, whether on battery alone or on magsafe too. However, it would boot up with just the magsafe powering it.

If I insert the battery and do an SMC reset style 5 second press, then on the next press of the power button it will boot up but the fans go to full power permanently and I get "no battery available" symbol in the top bar... yet if I pull out the magsafe the computer continues to run.

what on earth is going on?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is it an Apple battery or a knockoff? I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm... It's a knock off.

Thanks for the input and link!