What's going on???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by oldscool63, Mar 8, 2010.

1. oldscool63 macrumors newbie

Hey, gang.

This is just a rant. 2 weeks ago, my power cable died for my MacBook. Last week, exactly 6 days later, the HD died! It's only 2.5 years old! Good thing I had a spare!

Hey, Apple....what's going on??? Sheesh!

I'm not liking this...a LOT!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry you are having some troubles
    Hope you had a backup

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's not a widespread problem, and HDDs are bound to fail at some time, some do sooner than later though.

Have you at least still got your warranty and got the power adapter and HDD replaced by Apple?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's a shame. Power cables are notorious for fraying. At least the new ones are better. 2.5 years is not unreasonable for a HD, a little early perhaps, but not unreasonable.

5. oldscool63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah...nothing new on the power cables. I've replaced it with my iBook, PowerBook and now my MacBook.

This is the first time a HD died in one of my Apple computers (I've owned well over 20).

What got me was the timing...6 days apart. I bought a new power cable from the Apple Store, but I had the original HD (80 gigs) stored away. I just put it back in on Friday. The HD that died came from a friends brand new Macbook about 6 - 7 months ago. He got a SATA drive from Apple, so he let me have the HD.

So, it's not under warranty. Still, it didn't even last a year. I'm gonna have to figure a way to get all my data off it. Tried Knoppix and that didn't work.

I don't trust places that will do it professionally, so, I'll keep working at it.

Any ideas out there? Appreciate any and all info!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can give Data Rescue 3 a try, but if it is physical damage, you need someone professional to look after it.

7. ttopp macrumors regular

get your mate to put it back in his macbook and he can get it replaced for free as its within the 1st year...

a wee bit naughty but still... you dont have to, you kin pay for it yourself if u want to.

8. oldscool63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, Data Rescue sounds like it may be worth a try.

I can't give it back to my friend until I get all my data off of it. Once I do that, then I guess I can let him have it to swap it. We'll see, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the info, all!