Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ka-spot

Suspended
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
This thread is ONLY for 13" retina model.

Haswell (5-10% better)
Intel HD 5100 (125% better)
Battery
PCIe SSD
802.11ac WiFi
Maybe Sharp IGZO
Maybe redesign
Second gen product

Anything else?

I just wanna clear for all waiting the 13" retina what are they waiting for...

Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Haswell (5-10% better)
Battery (this is why I'm waiting)
PCIe SSD
802.11ac WiFi
Maybe Sharp IGZO
Maybe redesign

Anything else?

1. 5% or less
2. Same or 1 hour better, wont matter to most users
3 same as is
4 Wont matter to most now.
5 same as is
6. Same as is

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
But why they almost doubles the Air's battery and the retina will have only +1h. Please explain.

Air is not getting what they say for battery. read up.

----------

The SSD matters, so does the ac and the battery improvement, you aren't really into tech are you?

2 imac
2 mbpr
2 iphone
4 ipad
1 ATV

hate Tech.

who knows its all hearsay till release day, stirring the pot.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

Haswell (5-10% better)
Battery (this is why I'm waiting)
PCIe SSD
802.11ac WiFi
Maybe Sharp IGZO
Maybe redesign

Anything else?

I am.

Haswell: Probably. At least 5%
Battery: I'd guess at least 9 hour battery life
PCIe SSD: May not notice it in most cases but it's faster so why not?
802.11ac: Will need a new Wifi base station
IGZO: Nice but not necessary. Display is already great
Redesign: Maybe as thin as the 15" rMBP which is nice but not necessary

The biggie is better integrated graphics. I'm holding out for that.

iLive

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
You guys are all forgetting the best thing: Intel HD 5100

"According to Intel benchmarks in 3DMark 11, the Iris Graphics 5100 will be up to 125 percent faster than the previous HD 4000 [...]" - Source

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Battery life will be a big improvement in light usage giving 3-4 hours more, but only around 1 hour more during heavy workloads.

The graphics too will be a big improvement, but its not going to beat the current 15"s discrete GPU.

Faster WiFi wont be noticeable until all your other computers catch up, but its nice to be prepared.

The PCIe SSD and Haswell CPU is also a welcome improvement but probably wont be noticeable over last years.

I dont think its worth upgrading to from last years, but it should be a really good machine.

I just hope that they keep both the fans and don't remove one, thats what keeps the current model quiet as a mouse even during heavy usage.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
And the fact that it will be a second gen product.

^ This.

Whole reason I didn't get a 1st gen rMBP was because of the dreaded 1st generation issues. I'm happy to wait a year for revision 2 with all the kinks (hopefully) fixed. Did the same with the iPhone and iPad too, waiting pays off.

jdevenberg

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
I agree that graphics will be the biggest improvement. I'm actually satisfied with everything else about the current 13", but I refuse to pay $1,400 for something with HD 4000 graphics.

iLive

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
But why they almost doubles the Air's battery and the retina will have only +1h. Please explain.

Because the power consumption on the Pro happens through the screen, while on the Air, the screen doesn't use that much battery. Intel Haswell processors will only reduce power consumption on the cpu (and gpu, i guess), and that's not the thing that takes the battery of the Pro. :p

BTW, to show how much power the screen takes, look at the battery differences in the 13" Air and Pro:

rMBP: Built-in 74-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
MBA: Built-in 54-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

ka-spot

Suspended
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
Battery may not be that good like the Air, but I want retina... So I'll just continue waiting to see what will happens :) After all the Haswell retina is really close to be released :rolleyes: If there is redesign, even slight redesign.. I'll be more happy with the new design and with the better CPU + iGPU :rolleyes:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
IGZO: Nice but not necessary. Display is already great
Redesign: Maybe as thin as the 15" rMBP which is nice but not necessary
IGZO isn't about higher quallity screens. The panels are the same it is about more power efficiency especially with the very high pixel count. The backlight doesn't have to work so hard to get through to you, which is the main reason why the ipad 4 and retina macs suck more power and have those big batteries.

iLive said:
Because the power consumption on the Pro happens through the screen, while on the Air, the screen doesn't use that much battery. Intel Haswell processors will only reduce power consumption on the cpu (and gpu, i guess), and that's not the thing that takes the battery of the Pro. :p
There is still a big chunk for the CPU. The Air already had a great power saver ULV CPU and got this improvement. The Macs are now moving to an ULV part which should essentially enable ultrabook power levels. That should add quite a bit to the overall battery life.
With an IGZO screen 10h is very likely.

Samsung gets on a 15" FullHD notebook 10h wifi time (90wh battery) with Ivy Bridge Quad Core a few weeks ago, there is definitely room for improvement. In the same test that the 15" rMBP lasted 6h and the 13" 6h40min and all that with a bright VA panel which used to be not exactly the known for great power efficiency. I think a 13" rMBP with a ULV Haswell chip should be able to get there easy.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
IGZO isn't about higher quallity screens. The panels are the same it is about more power efficiency especially with the very high pixel count. The backlight doesn't have to work so hard to get through to you, which is the main reason why the ipad 4 and retina macs suck more power and have those big batteries.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Possibly Thunderbolt 2, depending on when it comes out. If it's at the same time as the new Mac Pro then it's pretty likely. It offers 20Gbps bandwidth per channel and 4K support.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
The SSD matters, so does the ac and the battery improvement, you aren't really into tech are you?

The SSD is already PCIe is what he was saying. 802.11ac is pointless as most devices use either 802.11n or b/g, so even if it is part of the update it'll be like 802.11n still. The battery improvement will be barely significant but any increase is good...it doesn't make people want to get rid of their current machine to get the new one though.

I think you misunderstood him entirely. He isn't saying those improvements are essentially crap, he's saying that they are unlikely to come in the update because they either are already there or are pointless.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The SSD is already PCIe is what he was saying. 802.11ac is pointless as most devices use either 802.11n or b/g, so even if it is part of the update it'll be like 802.11n still. The battery improvement will be barely significant but any increase is good...it doesn't make people want to get rid of their current machine to get the new one though.

I think you misunderstood him entirely. He isn't saying those improvements are essentially crap, he's saying that they are unlikely to come in the update because they either are already there or are pointless.

Nope, the current 13" rMBP uses SATA 3, only the new MBA currently uses PCIe.

802.11ac would be largely useful to someone who does frequent wireless local transfers. Someone might buy a 802.11ac laptop and router at the same time.
I'm personnally tempted to buy the new Time Capsule, but I'd wait to have a 802.11ac laptop first.

And I don't think the battery improvements will be "barely significant". They're changing CPU class altogether, from a M-class to U-class, after all.

I don't think he got misunderstood, his tone was simply too pessimistic, like someone who wants to convince himself his 2012 rMBP still does the job fine. I myself don't plan to upgrade my 2012 rMBP this year, but I won't deny the new one will have new features that are hardly "pointless".

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Nope, the current 13" rMBP uses SATA 3, only the new MBA currently uses PCIe.

802.11ac would be largely useful to someone who does frequent wireless local transfers. Someone might buy a 802.11ac laptop and router at the same time.
I'm personnally tempted to buy the new Time Capsule, but I'd wait to have a 802.11ac laptop first.

And I don't think the battery improvements will be "barely significant". They're changing CPU class altogether, from a M-class to U-class, after all.

I don't think he got misunderstood, his tone was simply too pessimistic, like someone who wants to convince himself his 2012 rMBP still does the job fine. I myself don't plan to upgrade my 2012 rMBP this year, but I won't deny the new one will have new features that are hardly "pointless".

So you're saying you'd sell a 1st gen. rMBP and get a 2nd gen. if the only difference was that the battery last one whole hour longer?! In the process you'd lose money. Just wouldn't be worth it. With several decent updates then the battery increase is beneficial.

802.11ac is pointless to the vast majority of people out there. The only people it would benefit are enthusiasts with more money than sense. In a couple of years ac will begin to be more mainstream.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
So you're saying you'd sell a 1st gen. rMBP and get a 2nd gen. if the only difference was that the battery last one whole hour longer?! In the process you'd lose money. Just wouldn't be worth it. With several decent updates then the battery increase is beneficial.

802.11ac is pointless to the vast majority of people out there. The only people it would benefit are enthusiasts with more money than sense. In a couple of years ac will begin to be more mainstream.

Not only would you lose money on a product whose value is depreciating, but you would also be paying $300-500 more for an improved and updated version of macbook pros. And, if Apple sees that there is a strong market demand for the new line of MBPs, you can be sure they would not be reducing its price as they did with the current MBP from $1699.00 to $1499.00.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

I'm actually saying pretty much the opposite. That I'm not going to upgrade my 2012 15" rMBP this year and that battery life gain is probably going to be more than 1h.

Why does it matter if it's mainstream or not if it's for your own home use? The only reason I see is price, and a 802.11ac Time Capsule is the same price as the old n model was, so why not? I don't expect the ac model to drop price in the foreseeable future, maybe they'll bump the capacity for the same price again, so why wait if you can benefit from it right now?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Just to add to OP's list:
  • 1080p FaceTime camera (to differentiate it from the MBA)
  • Thunderbolt 2.0 (to put it on par with the Mac Pro)
  • Maybe HDMI 2.0 if it gets standardized soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.